Assistant Manager, Information Governance
OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR
ASSISTANT MANAGER: INFORMATION GOVERNANCE
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 7
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be required to:
- Support the Manager: Information Governance in the implementation of the Information Governance and Privacy Protection (iGaPP) decentralised model in line with legal requirements, the Information Governance policies and the University's strategic objectives;
- Act as advocate for information governance and privacy protection at the University through awareness, communication and stakeholder engagement at all levels at the University;
- Responsible for the correct interpretation and application of legislation in respect of information and governance (PAIA, POPI, etc.);
- Engage and facilitate with both internal and external stakeholders on data privacy advice and guidance through appropriate forums to ensure the University’s implementation approach is appropriate to address legislative requirements;
- Collate the bi-annual information governance reports on the status of privacy implementation at the University;
- Provide support and guidance to staff reporting/investigating suspected breaches of PAIA and POPIA;
- Collaborate with various stakeholders to ensure alignment between security and privacy compliance programs including policies, practices, and investigations;
- Coordinate the implementation of tools, procedures, strategies and policies for successful monitoring and enforcement of compliance;
- Assist with investigations and requests from the Information Regulator and or internal/external stakeholders;
- Create, implement, and maintain processes for managing contracts and third parties;
- Draft of legal opinions related to data protection;
- Negotiating and reviewing data protection agreements to ensure the responsibility is placed on third parties to keep information secure and to process the data legitimately;
- Undertake special projects as directed by the Registrar.
- LLB Degree or equivalent relevant qualification at National Qualification Framework (NQF) Level 8 as recognised by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA);
- At least 4 years post qualification experience as a Legal Practitioner (Attorney, Advocate or Legal Advisor who completed term as candidate attorney);
- Experience in Information Governance;
- Familiarity through work exposure with the POPIA and PAIA;
- Valid Drivers' License.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- A thorough knowledge of and experience in the following:
- Good understanding of data protection legislation and privacy landscape in South Africa, as well as good understanding of the European Union's General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR);
- Strategic planning, as well as policy development and implementation;
- Handling information incidents (including data breaches) and incident response;
- Relevant South African legislation;
- Sound legal technical ability;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite Package;
- General understanding of IT technologies concerning processing and storing data;
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to review, analyse and organise documentary and factual evidence;
- Demonstrated ability to engage diverse stakeholders to lead change;
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative manner with various stakeholders;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- User focused mindset and solution-orientated approach Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to influence, motivate and negotiate with stakeholders to manage change initiatives.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- LLM degree or equivalent relevant qualification;
- A total of five years appropriate post qualification experience as a Legal Practitioner at a middle management level;
- Experience in legal compliance and monitoring;
- Experience of the Higher Education and related environments;
- Attorney or Advocate;
- Data privacy certification.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 09 November 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.