Postdoctoral Research Associate in Biophotonics and/or Artificial Intelligence
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA) with expertise in either biophotonics or artificial intelligence (AI) to drive forward the next generation of endoscopy tools for cancer detection. Oral cancer diagnostics is clinically challenging, and it is often not possible to reliably identify tumour margins during surgery. Raman spectroscopy has the potential to offer early diagnosis and improve the surgeon’s capability to reliably identify tumour and healthy tissues.
The aim of the presently available PDRA is to develop a new paradigm of Raman endoscopy technology that enables comprehensive molecular characterisation and accurate diagnosis of oral cancers. The ideal applicant will have either experience in artificial intelligence/machine learning in the Matlab or Python environment or bioengineering/biophotonics and optical spectroscopy.
The PDRA will work on instrument development, characterisation of tissues and development of deep learning for molecular diagnostics. The post involves close and active collaboration with researchers, engineers, and clinicians. Working and collecting data for analysis with established platforms already present within our teams is of paramount importance to ensure project cohesion and strong links with the members of the team. It is expected that the individual is highly independent and self-motivated. The PDRA will join a vibrant, multidisciplinary group in a fully equipped optics lab at King’s College London working on various aspects of optical microscopy, disease characterisation and translational biophotonics
This post will be offered on fixed term contract for 24 months
This is a Full time post - 100% full time equivalent
- Develop Raman techniques and deep learning approaches for molecular characterisation
- Contribute to project management tasks
- Maintain accurate and up-to date technical documentation of the delivered software and hardware
- Contribute to the dissemination of the research through publications, conferences and public engagement activities
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Education in Math, Computational Science, Bioengineering, Physics or related technical discipline
2. PhD or equivalent industrial experience in computational science, bioengineering or a related field
3. Knowledge of AI (machine learning / deep learning)
4. Knowledge of and experience using the Matlab or Python programming languages
5. Ability to work with a variety of people on several projects
1. Knowledge of optics and photonics
2. A demonstrable record of publications in peer-reviewed conference proceedings and scientific journals
* Please note that this is a PhD level role but candidates who have submitted their thesis and are awaiting award of their PhDs will be considered. In these circumstances the appointment will be made at Grade 5, spine point 30 with the title of Research Assistant. Upon confirmation of the award of the PhD, the job title will become Research Associate and the salary will increase to Grade 6.