Adjunct Associate Professor II in Sustainable Transformation and Facility Management
About the position
At Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, there is a vacancy for a position as Adjunct Associate Professor II (20%) in Sustainable transformation and facility management. The position is related to different aspects of building transformation and managerial processes in a lifecycle perspective e.g. transformation and reuse of existing buildings, circular economy, user orientation and involvement, maintainability, facility management (FM) and Urban FM).
The position shall contribute to the department’s joint effort to the green shift in built environment through sustainable refurbishment and upgrading perspective. Further, this position is part of the research group Building Process, where teaching and research within transformation processes and management of adaptive reuse of existing buildings is important. NTNU has significant investments in sustainable challenges in built environment solutions, both as separate fields and as an integrated part of established and new professional disciplines.
You will do research and teaching within how to improve effectiveness, efficiency, and sustainability in the construction industry, especially from the perspective of transformation. Currently the research group is doing research on different aspects of front-end management, design management, construction management and facility management. In our group we have a large-scale continuing education program on Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) for the Norwegian construction industry. The research group is responsible for the Department’s BIM Laboratory.
The strategy of the department has a focus on how our research and education contribute to the green shift in the built environment.
The position reports to the Head of Department.
Duties of the positions
- teaching, life-long learning and supervision at Ph.D. and Master level according to needs of the research group
- teaching in methodologies and tools for assessment of building potential for sustainable refurbishment, total aspects within (urban) FM
- initiate and implement research both within digitalization related to the fields of the research group and in interdisciplinary communities, both internally and externally
- strategic and operational development of the Department’s goals
- participate in development of the Department's professional competence and professional activities, including the field of continuing education
- extensive use of online solutions and digital technology as important elements in research projects, teaching and in the dissemination of knowledge.
Required selection criteria
Adjunct Associate Professor:
The position of Adjunct Associate Professor within the field of Sustainable transformation and facility management requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-4.
- your PhD, or academic work of the same scope and quality, must be within construction processes in built environment, civil and environmental engineering, architectural engineering or other related to the construction industry.
- you must have recent scientific and/or artistic works mainly in the field of digitalization of the construction process related to planning, design and/or construction.
- you must document the ability to conduct scientific work, the greatest emphasis is placed on works in the last five years excluding statutory leave
- you must have knowledge of relevant regulations for the construction industry nationally and/or the harmonised European regulations for the construction sector
- you must have good written and oral English language skills
- you must have good written and oral Norwegian or another Scandinavian language skill
In addition to formal qualifications in teaching at university level, you must document
- development in teaching and counselling of students over time
- extensive experience with supervision preferably at the master / PhD level
- participation in the development of educational quality in a work environment
You must document relevant basic competence for teaching and supervision at university/higher education-level, ref. Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you are required to complete an approved course in university teaching within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Preferred selection criteria
- expertise and/or experience in construction and construction processes
- expertise and/or experience with processes and tools within the construction industry
- international network in academia and/or in the construction industry
- good communication and dissemination capabilities
- innovative, development-oriented and initiative-oriented
- ability to work organizationally and goal oriented.
- independent, but team-oriented and cooperative.
Salary and conditions
In a position as Adjunct Associate Professor (code 1011) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 550 000 to NOK 770 000 per year, corresponding with a 20% position, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position. You will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and undertake supervision of Masters and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also consider experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
Your application will be considered by an expert committee and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and to deliver a lecture.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Olav Torp, telephone +47 934 22 673, email firstname.lastname@example.org If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Tone Måsøval Arntzen, e-mail: email@example.com
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: IV-222/21
Application deadline: 10.11.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We conduct research and teaching in civil and transportation engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering and hydraulic engineering. Graduates from our programmes become employees – in both the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 10th November 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering