Instructor, Development Instruction Unit, University College
- University College is seeking well-qualified and experienced English language instructors to teach a range of credit- bearing English courses including English for Academic Purposes and General Education English tutorials.
- University College caters to matriculating students with an IELTS 5.5/Toefl iBT 62/EmSAT1250 and up.
- Working hours for Instructors for University College include teaching 15 – 18 credit hours per week, providing program support and committee work and holding daily office hours.
- Instructors are also required to proctor and grade examinations occasionally including weekends.
- For all English courses, there is a set curriculum and pacing guide, but instructors are encouraged to be pedagogically creative in producing and presenting their own materials and activities in classes. Instructors should be comfortable with educational and instructional technologies including learning management systems such as Blackboard and the use of Smartboards and the integration of dynamic classroom technologies.
- In fact, as the United Arab Emirates University has the goal to be “The University of the Future”, it is imperative that instructors have previous experience in teaching and facilitating online and blended courses.
The minimum qualification is a master’s degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or a closely related field.
- The UAE mandates all teachers to receive equivalency for their degrees.
- Details about equivalency can be found here: https://www.moe.gov.ae/En/EServices/ServiceCard/Equ/Pages/EqConditionsExt.aspx
- As well as a relevant master’s degree, having an additional master’s degree or qualifications in another field is also an advantage.
- Training or qualifications in online and blended teaching and learning are highly preferred.
- Additional specific teaching qualifications such as RSA/Trinity CELTA or DELTA, PGCE, or a similar teaching-focused postgraduate diploma from an accredited institution can be beneficial towards a candidate’s application
- Applicants should have a minimum of three years of experience in similar programs and be comfortable in a multi-cultural environment and online modality.
- Applicants should also be sensitive to the particular cultural considerations of students in the Arabian Gulf region and a diverse expatriate workforce.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, both student-centered instructional approaches and teaching academic writing are essential.
- Applicants should be flexible, independent, and enthusiastic about working in an environment with rapidly changing policies and new educational initiatives, especially those pertaining to online and blended learning modalities, while adhering to punctuality, deadlines, project commitments, administrative policies, and procedures.
- Interested applicants should have a positive, proactive attitude and enjoy volunteering to contribute to dynamic course and program growth and curriculum/materials/design for new educational initiatives.
- An individual with assessment experience, including item writing, vetting, performing analysis using discrimination, standard deviation, and distribution, international benchmarking, ensuring exam validation and reliability, creating data sets to find correlations, and using software to standardize markers is required.
- UAEU is specifically looking for candidates with a Curriculum Development specialization to expand current English course offerings so subsequent, more advanced courses can be offered to student
Special Instructions to Applicant
Division University College
Department Development Instruction Unit - UC
Job Close Date 22-01-2022
Job Category Academic - Faculty