Professor and Dean, Gordon Institute of Business Science
UP Professional and Support
GORDON INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS SCIENCE
PROFESSOR AND DEAN
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria is a leading research university in South Africa and one of the largest in the country. The University prides itself on producing well-rounded, creative graduates and responsible, productive citizens and future leaders. Research at UP is at the apex of the University's long-term strategic plan, UP 2025, which is to be a leading research-intensive university in Africa. Equally important is the University's international visibility and the impact of its research, innovation and teaching and learning on socio-economic development in South Africa and in the region.
The University of Pretoria’s Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) is a dynamic, growing, internationally accredited business school offering a comprehensive range of academic, executive and outreach programmes from its custom-built campus in Johannesburg, South Africa’s economic hub. GIBS is highly ranked by the UK Financial Times for both its academic and executive education programmes. GIBS is a research active school, with strengths in academic and applied research and the positioning of being ‘close to business’.
The University seeks to appoint a Dean who will be dynamic and will demonstrate visionary leadership, strategic thinking and the ability to execute plans successfully. The Dean must have a strong academic record, including a doctoral degree. The Dean is required to have strong links with business, preferably with organisations based in the Gauteng Province of South Africa and surrounds. The Dean should be able to foster new ties with business locally, nationally and internationally, as this will enable the School to maintain and ultimately strengthen its presence in executive education, an integral part of the School’s portfolio. The Dean must possess the requisite qualifications and experience to be appointed to this role. The Dean is assisted by appropriate management and support structures.
- Ensures that GIBS continues to be considered by the business community as a leading business school on the continent, offering world-class teaching and learning;
- Should be seen as a thought leader and visionary and be well respected by the business community and GIBS stakeholders;
- Promotes a positive organisational culture aligned with the University's value system, specifically human dignity, tolerance, diversity, inclusion and non-alienation;
- Pro-actively shapes the future of GIBS and ensures its financial and operational sustainability and together with the executive team, provides strategic leadership to the School;
- Represents the School in the media, at academic and business conferences and in other public fora;
- Will be expected to convene meetings of the School’s international Advisory Board, recruiting new members to that board as and when required;
- Ensures the efficient management and administration of the School. This includes compliance with the various rules and related regulations at the University of Pretoria, including those relating to executive education, consulting, contract research and outside employment, as well as the University's code of conduct;
- Reports to the School’s board on administrative and financial matters while academic matters of the School are dealt with via the University of Pretoria Senate;
- Is responsible for maintaining and building partnerships with individuals, business and other institutions nationally and internationally; and
- Participates in University-wide activities such as scheduled meetings with the University management, the Deans’ Committee, Senate and, where appropriate, appointment committee meetings, graduation ceremonies and planning initiatives.
- A doctoral degree and academic achievements that would warrant appointment at least at an associate professorial level by the University of Pretoria;
- Demonstrated ability to provide open and collegial style leadership;
- Evidence of strong relationships with business and stakeholders as well as the ability to develop these relationships; and
- Proven leadership in managing business organisations/substantial parts of a business or organisation and/or educational institutions;
- Proven business acumen to ensure financial sustainability of GIBS;
- Ability to drive the internationalisation agenda of GIBS (i.e., curriculum, faculty and students);
- Ability to ensure a GIBS B-BBEE accreditation level of at least 4.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Strong leadership traits: The incumbent should be a leader who is able to develop, together with the leadership of the business school as a whole, a coherent vision that is imaginative but practical and supports the overall strategy of the University;
- Good interpersonal skills and commitment to the transformation of South African society;
- Skills in effective communication and a deep commitment to the purpose and entrepreneurial spirit of the School;
- Proven strategic acumen;
- Skills to lead in a digital and virtual environment; and
- A person who is committed to diversity in all its forms.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Sufficient experience in management in a higher education institution and/or business school will be a very strong recommendation.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
The Dean is appointed for a term of five (5) years. Applicants who are short-listed will be required to make a brief presentation to the Faculty Board with regard to their vision for the Institute.
The Regulation and Procedure for the Appointment of Deans and Deputy-Deans is available on the UP Website www.up.ac.za at Careers@UP (Link: Appointment regulations for Executives and Deans). By applying, applicants consent to the appointment process as contained in the Regulation.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- a comprehensive CV detailing academic and professional qualifications as well as full employment history;
- the names, email addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- the names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- a self-evaluation by the applicant of his/her suitability for appointment to the post; and
- the applicant’s vision for the Gordon Institute of Business Science in both a national and international context.
CLOSING DATE: 10 November 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Letticia Jooste, email: email@example.com.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised position.