Assistant Professor in Data Communication
The National University of Singapore (NUS) is a leading research-intensive university (http://www.nus.edu.sg/) that is consistently ranked among the world’s top universities. Established in 2004, the Department of Communications and New Media (CNM) (http://www.fass.nus.edu.sg/cnm/) is a leader in communication and new media research and education. It offers undergraduate, honours and PhD programmes in communications and new media studies, with an innovative curriculum that introduces students to key debates in the areas of media studies, communication management, interactive media design and cultural studies. Its curriculum provides students with practical skills in social media management, user interface design, and digital marketing. Its students undertake industry immersion through its compulsory internship programme. Successful candidates for these positions will join an engaging community of 46 full-time faculty, 13 part-time instructors, and approximately 800 undergraduate and graduate students.
We seek applicants with expertise in one or more of the following areas: Communication(s), data science, information science, and information systems and technology.
Responsibilities: Successful candidates are expected to teach 110-140 hours per academic year. Other duties include supervision of honours students and graduate students, and administrative service.
The anticipated start date is 1 Jan 2022 or earlier.
- Full CV, including education, professional background, teaching and supervision, research activities and achievements, honours and awards, and service accomplishments to date. List all academic and non-academic positions. Name and contact of your PhD Supervisor. All PhD and postdoctoral supervisors or any other senior authors with close and regular collaborations (full name and institution) should be listed.
- Scanned Copies of all degree certificates.
- A statement (max. of 3 pages) of teaching philosophy and methodology. Where available, evidence of teaching ability such as student feedback or peer review reports should be provided. Evidence of other contributions to education, e.g. curriculum development, pedagogical innovation, production of teaching material, should be provided were available.
- A statement (max. of 3 pages) of major accomplishments in research, citing up to five significant publications, creative work or other scholarly contribution, and explaining their significance. Sample copies of these contributions should be provided (in the case of books, reviews should be provided).
- A research plan (3-page) with a proposed start-up research budget and utilisation plan.
- A complete list of publications, grouped according to papers, books, and reviews, including page numbers, in bibliographic form.
- Citation (excluding self-citations and in the case of co-authored work, cross-citations) and impact analysis of research output, highlighting papers with the highest citation counts, and creative works with high impact.
- FOUR letters of reference (including one from the applicant’s PhD or post-doctoral adviser/supervisor) to be arranged by the applicant.
PhD in Communication or closely related discipline, with a specialisation in computing by date of appointment; evidence of excellence in teaching. Candidates should demonstrable ability to translate data science into applied communication contexts such as data journalism, data-driven strategic comm for health, marketing, or politics. Candidates must have experience with computational techniques and the ability to teach courses in data analytics, and data visualisation.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Arts & Social Sciences
Department: Communications And New Media
Employee Referral Eligible: No