Academic and Student Affairs Specialist
The Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholars Program offers a select cohort of talented university students, unique access to specially designed courses, lectures, leadership experiences, networking, and assistance with applying for graduate school opportunities and scholarships. It accepts scholars from among the most outstanding students at the national UAE universities: the Higher Colleges of Technology, United Arab Emirates University, and Zayed University. The Scholars Program has been developed in close consultation with the Abu Dhabi Education Council, national extant universities and colleges in the UAE, and New York University Abu Dhabi.
The Program Goals include:
- Academic and Leadership Development - To offer an unparalleled and rigorous educational, cross-cultural, and leadership-development experience to outstanding and gifted university students in their third or fourth years of college study in the UAE.
- Network and Enrichment Opportunities - To provide access to NYUAD’s global research, educational, and leadership network, to foster greater awareness of international issues and challenges, and to develop in these Scholars the capacity to shape the future.
- Graduate Education Advising - To counsel and help prepare exceptional candidates demonstrating the highest merit and motivation for graduate and professional study at institutions of their choice.
The NYUAD Summer Academy is an 18-month program designed to enhance the academic profiles of highly motivated Emirati high school students. Following a competitive admissions process, up to 36 program participants are selected as recipients of the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholarships for Outstanding High School Students, which enables them to attend the Summer Academy. In this mixed-gender program, students are exposed to a rich cultural and rigorous academic program which enhances their ability to gain admission to and perform well at top-tier English-language universities. The program begins during the summer following the 10th year of high school and continues for the following 18 months, with two intensive summer courses of study in Abu Dhabi and possible international travel to New York, Florence, or regional travel. In addition, students participate in online study and academic refresher weekends during the academic year.
The program goals include:
- University Preparation - Instill in students the intellectual resources and skills necessary for success at top-tier, English-language universities through the 18-month curriculum.
- Liberal Arts Education - Introduces students to the study of the humanities and to the value of a liberal arts education.
- Cultural Awareness - Develop students' understanding of the cultural norms of Western universities.
- Test Preparation - Prepare students to excel on the standardized tests necessary for university entry.
The Sheikh Mohamad bin Zayed Community Programs at New York University, Abu Dhabi, invites applications for an academic support role of Academic and Student Affairs Specialist. The appointment will be for two years starting as soon as possible.
The Academic and Student Affairs Specialist will be responsible for coordination across two high-level community outreach programs. This individual will have the unique opportunity to work with a dynamic team to identify and execute areas for improved organizational effectiveness across both programs.
- Work with the Academic Affairs Coordinator to proctor practice standardized tests for Summer Academy students throughout the year;
- Work with the Academic Affairs Coordinator to provide administrative support to standardized test tutors for pre- and post-test instruction and outcomes reporting;
- Work with the Program Coordinator - Alumni Affairs and Operations to process standardized test reimbursements for Summer Academy students;
- Work with New York-based Instructor and Learning Designer to serve as a Teaching Assistant in Training for the Summer Academy and SMSP Leadership & Public Speaking courses
- During the Academic Year, assist the Instructor and Learning Designer with various aspects of the Summer Academy College Readiness and Success Course, which may include, but not limited to, assisting with the implementation of workshops and surveys and liaising with NYUAD departments like Admissions;
- With the Manager of Operations and Student Advising and the Assistant Manager - Administration and Alumni Affairs, develop programming for current SMSP Scholars and Summer Academy students to interact with the NYUAD student population;
- Assist the Manager of Operations and Student Advising in liaising with Tamkeen as needed
- Assist the Manager of Operations and Student Advising with conducting one-on-one sessions with the NYUAD STARS (Summer Academy alumni at NYUAD)
- Conduct workshops and one-on-one sessions on reading, writing, and other skills as necessary for Summer Academy students and SMSP Scholars;
- Assist with Summer Academy and SMSP Selection Days as well as other special programs events;
- Participate in and assist with the supervision of students during co-curricular activities;
- Other duties as requested by the Executive and Senior Directors.
About NYU Abu Dhabi
Established in partnership between New York University (NYU) and the emirate of Abu Dhabi, NYU Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) has assembled over the past decade a remarkable community of scholars, students, researchers, artists, inventors, and others who have contributed to the growth of the UAE’s capital as a global hub of knowledge and culture, while establishing a new model of higher education for today’s complex world.
NYUAD is animated by inspiring, diverse faculty, students, and staff working together in an exciting and dynamic city. As an international center of excellence in teaching and research, our goal is to attract outstanding faculty who are leaders in their fields, encouraging them to create programs that draw outstanding students and providing an intellectually rich environment.
Students are drawn from among the world’s best. They are bright, intellectually passionate, and committed to building a campus environment anchored in mutual respect, understanding, and care. The NYUAD undergraduate student body has garnered an impressive record of scholarships, graduate-school appointments, and many other global honors. Graduate education is an area of growth for the university and the current graduate student population of over 100 students is expected to expand in the next decade.
NYUAD is committed to building and strengthening a university-wide culture of inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity (IDBE). For more information on NYUAD’s commitment to IDBE and how these values create fundamental to our mission please visit https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/inclusion-diversity-belonging-and-equity.html.
Working for NYUAD
A world-class institution deserves world-class benefits. At NYUAD, we recognize that Abu Dhabi is more than where you work, it’s your home. In order for faculty to thrive, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to our top talent. This starts with a generous relocation allowance to ensure a smooth transition to Abu Dhabi, followed by a competitive salary, housing on campus if required; access to health and wellness services, plus more. NYUAD is committed to faculty success throughout the academic career trajectory, providing support for ambitious and world-class research projects and innovative, interactive teaching approaches. Support for dual-career families is a priority.
Click here for more information on benefits for you and your dependents.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensing or Training:
Bachelor’s Degree in Student Affairs, International Education, or related discipline
Preferred Education, Certifications, Licensing or Training:
Master’s Degree in Student Affairs, International Education, or related discipline
Required Work and Related Experience:
- Two or more years experience in higher education student affairs
- The ability to work with students from local high schools and the three federal universities in the UAE
- Ability to give feedback on academic writing and have 1:1 meetings with students
- High level of organizational/time management skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English as well as outstanding interpersonal skills with diverse cultures and populations
- A high level of professionalism and attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and an energetic desire to carry out the mission the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Community Programs
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Excellent judgment, tact, diplomacy, discretion and the ability to maintain confidences
- The ability to be creative and flexible in response to fast-changing and complex work situations
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office and Google Suite of Tools
- Flexibility with scheduling to allow for work on weekends and evenings, as necessary
Preferred Work and Related Experience:
- Familiarity with in-person and online modes of instruction
- Familiarity with Emirati education and culture
- Experience teaching and supporting ESL learners, particularly teaching writing skills
- Exceedingly well developed cultural sensitivity
- Knowledge of InDesign or graphic design programs
Candidates must submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter, outlining specifically how their experience and qualifications align with the role responsibilities and requirements (in pdf form), as well as the contact information of three referees.
NYUAD is committed to equality and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our University.
For questions about this position, please email:
If this sounds like you, apply now.
Join NYU Abu Dhabi, an exceptional place for exceptional people.
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.