Head, Department of Community Health
Head: Department of Community Health
University of Global Health Equity is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Title: Head, Department of Community Health
Reports to: Chair, Humanities, Community Health and Social Medicine
Program: All Academic programs at UGHE (Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD) and MBBS (MD) program, and others)
Location: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) in Butaro, Rwanda
As a new university committed to providing an academic experience, rooted in global health delivery and equity, UGHE seeks a Head of Community-based Education, a visionary leader with vast implementation expertise, experience teaching and developing academic training programs, a robust research portfolio, and a deep commitment to equity-driven access to the highest quality education.
Through a unique combination of curricular content, innovative pedagogy, robust research experience, UGHE seeks a leader with a similar creative approach coupled with the energy, determination, and dedication to realize such a vision.
The Head will oversee, develop, evaluate, and improve current and future program models for all aspects of community based education programs of the MBBS (MD) program. S/he will direct a team of faculty and staff that involved in the development and delivery of all aspects of the programs.
Provide Strategic Leadership (25%)
Oversee the strategic direction, development, and continuous improvement of the community-based education program (CBE), Global-CBE, and other of Community Health and Social Medicine academic programs at UGHE.
- Oversee the continuous monitoring, evaluation, and quality improvement for all aspects of the CBE program, in partnership with MGHD, MBBS and other academic programs team such as nursing.
- Provide strategy and direction for Global and community Health Education at UGHE.
- Serve as a leader for academic developments including global health learning, teaching, research.
- Participate in and provide leadership on academic committee overseeing student performance.
- Participate in responsibilities and contribute to UGHE activities as directed by the UGHE leadership
Provide direction for priority strategic initiatives in the academic realm
- Develop and maintain a robust partnership portfolio
- Work with local and international partners to successfully carry out the CBE and Global CBE programs
- Develop global partners to popularize the Global CBE program
- Identify and create strategic partnerships with local and international organizations for practicum placement opportunities
- Lead the curriculum design, delivery and evaluation of the CBE and Global CBE programs, and all community facing academic programs to all MBBS, MGHD and other students (executive, nursing, and others)
- Lead the delivery of all CBE programs to all UGHE students
- Lead the implementation of the Global CBE program
- Lead all academic related community engagement programs
Supervising and mentoring (20%)
- Supervise and mentor UGHE’s junior faculty in professional development, including but not limited to education, research, management, and communication skills.
- Mentor and guide students through their academic experience.
Conduct and accompany Research (10%)
- Undertake research leading to peer-reviewed publications focused on global and community health delivery and equity.
- Accompany and mentor student and alumni-driven global health research linked to their UGHE training.
- PhD level degree in Global Health, Global Health Delivery, public health or health-related field
- A background MD (MBBS) degree is preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in Community based education teaching, leadership and global health care delivery
- Advanced training and experience in health, research, or community education with a focus on global settings and equity-driven initiatives
- Experience in curriculum development, teaching and developing academic health science training for students
- Passion for and experience mentoring students, faculty, and staff
- Experience overseeing academic programs and health initiatives
- Commitment to equity-centered education
- Strong record of peer-reviewed publications focused on implementation science
- Excitement for working in a dynamic, fast-paced, startup educational environment