PhD Position in Biotechnology, Emulsion Technology
About the position
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
We have a vacancy for a PhD position at Department of Biotechnology and Food Science, NTNU. The position is a part of a large collaborative framework set up between NTNU and Nutrimar to assess the possibility for the use of by-products as a sustainable alternate raw material for salmon feed.
Fish and chicken processing into salmon feed produces large masses of oil-water emulsion, which currently does not have any use. The PhD will develop methods and processes to resolve this issue.
The appointment has a duration of 3 years, with the possibility of 1 year extension.
The PhD candidate will report to Associate Professor Ashkan Madadlou.
Duties of the position
- Design and run innovative approaches and processes to resolve the matter of question: How to change the emulsion from a waste to a wealth
- Publish research results in international peer-reviewed journals and present at international conferences.
- Actively consider other dissemination ways
Required selection criteria
- You must be a Food Scientist, Food Process Engineer and/or (Food) Biotechnologist with a strong background in Emulsions and liquid-liquid Interfaces. Knowledge on protein chemistry, marine biochemistry, microfluidics, and soft matter physics is advantageous
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Biotechnology within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program (https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phbiot)
- You must have acquired an IELTS band score of ≥6.5 or be fluent in English.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Persistence, time management and ability to innovate.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
- Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years with the possibility of one year extension due to teaching activity.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Biotechnology (https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phbiot) within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- Name and address of three referees
- An up to one page "Personal motivation letter"
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Ass.Prof. Ashkan Madadlou, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number NV-107/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 20.10.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Biotechnology and Food Science
Our activities contribute to increased exploitation of existing and new ingredients for sustainable food production as well as next-generation energy solutions and medical technology. We educate graduates for a wide range of careers in industry, public administration and academia. The Department of Biotechnology and Food Science is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Deadline 20th October 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Trondheim