Postdoctoral Scientist, Department of Biological Science
- Full Time
Department of Biological Science
Salary: £36,438 to £38,516 per annum - including London Allowance
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Thursday 21 October 2021
Applications are invited for the post of Postdoctoral Scientist in the Biological Sciences Department.
Cognitive changes characterizing human dementias are thought to occur through changes in synapses, and there is a growing consensus that the failure of synapses to transmit signals represents an early sign of neurodegeneration and dementia in humans. Interventions in the early stages of these diseases could therefore prevent their progression and/or decrease the severity of clinical symptoms.
We are looking for an independent postdoctoral scientist to lead the project aimed at identifying new genes that can correct the aberrant synaptic function in Drosophila models of frontotemporal dementia (FTD) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) using electrophysiological, molecular, behavioural and/or computational approaches.
The post is available immediately and is funded by a grant from The Academy of Medical Research Sciences for 18 months in the first instance.
- a PhD in Neuroscience/Biological Sciences/Computational Biology
- extensive wet lab experience
- first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals
- previous experience in neuroscience
- previous experience with electrophysiology
- previous experience with Drosophila genetics
- previous experience in computational modelling and/or data analysis
- previous experience with cell culture systems
In return we offer a highly competitive rewards and benefits package including:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Training and Development opportunities
- Pension Scheme with generous employer contribution
- Various schemes including Cycle to Work, Season Ticket Loans and help with the cost of Eyesight testing.
- Free parking
The post is based in Egham, Surrey where the College is situated in a beautiful, leafy campus near to Windsor Great Park and within commuting distance from London.
To be considered for this position, please provide a one-page cover letter addressed to Dr Hrvoje Augustin (email@example.com). Online interviews are currently planned for 4th of November (THIS IS EXACTLY 6 WEEKS FROM TOMORROW).
To view further details of this post and to apply please visit https://jobs.royalholloway.ac.uk. For queries on the application process the Human Resources Department can be contacted by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the reference: 0921-373
Closing Date: Midnight, 21st October 2021
Interview Date: 4th November 2021