Job Profile Student Support - Library
Contract Type Permanent
You will have responsibility for the provision of Library and Information Services to students studying at BPP’s learning centre in Bristol.
You will work alongside others in the library team to design and deliver induction and training sessions to students studying online and at a distance.
You will be an experienced user of legal databases and will be confident in training and supporting law students and staff in legal research. You will be focused on the student experience and you will be able to balance the core areas of legal research training and managing a library space. You will be able to think strategically and provide input and support to projects outside of your core areas of responsibility. You will be a good communicator and a creative thinker with a friendly and professional approach. As the only library team member located in the Bristol centre you will need to be able work independently, with support from the wider national library team.
This is a part time role at 15 hours per week.
- Manage the library study facilities at BPP's Bristol City centre on a day-to-day basis ensuring library services meet the needs of library users and that the library environment is conducive to study;
- assist with the design and deliver face-to-face and online training programmes (small group sessions and lectures) and train other members of staff to be able to deliver the programmes where appropriate;
- liaise with members of teaching and support staff to ensure the library services at BPP's learning centre at Bristol meet students' needs;
- help and advise staff and students in making effective use of printed and online information sources;
- work with the Acquisitions Librarian and Systems Librarian to coordinate and develop resources, including collection development and management, online information services, the online library and other initiatives;
- work with the Materials Distribution Manager to assist with the distribution of core students materials as required;
- assist with developing and maintaining performance monitoring systems and quality assurance procedures;
- work with the Library Management Team to develop strategic plans and ensure a quality service is offered to all users;
- maintain an awareness of current developments in relevant information and technology areas;
- perform from time to time such other duties as may be consistent with the post.
Department University Education Services - Library
Vacancy location UK, South West, Bristol
- Educated to degree-level.
- To possess or be working towards a professional qualification in library/information science.
- High levels of IT literacy including Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, Outlook), Library Management Systems and Virtual Learning Environments.
- An understanding of the key print and online information resources to support law programmes.
- Experience in developing and delivering user education and training programmes.
- Experience of providing information literacy and study skills support.
- Committed to developing and delivering an outstanding service.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to produce clear and concise written and oral reports.
- Able to present to and engage a student audience.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills.
- Able to set own goals in addition to achieving given targets and deadlines.
- Awareness of your own training and development needs and an ability to identify how they may be met.
- A genuine interest in making a positive contribution.
Please note the successful candidate will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore the successful candidate will be required to declare any convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings that are not protected, as defined by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended in 2013).
Contract Hours 15.00
Salary 30,000 pro rata