Postdoctoral Fellow, Vegetation Dynamics in Tropical Asia
INVITATION TO APPLY FOR POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY
The Department of Geography at the National University of Singapore (https://fass.nus.edu.sg/geog/) is seeking one full-time Postdoctoral Research Fellow (RF) with relevant experience to work on vegetation dynamics in tropical Asia. The RF is expected to integrate terrestrial ecosystem models, in-situ collected leaf traits data, existing eddy covariance data and novel remote sensing observations to examine the physiological and structural changes of vegetation in tropical Asia. This position is funded under a Ministry of Education (MOE) Tier 1 award.
The ideal candidate is expected to be highly creative, have strong numerical and critical thinking skills, and a working familiarity with the processes governing the terrestrial carbon cycle. This is a full-time one year appointment with the possibility of renewal contingent on satisfactory job performance and funding availability. We provide competitive salary for the position with the consideration of years of experience post-degree.
The duties of the RF include:
- Application of quantitative analytical methods to large datasets.
- The formulation and testing of ecological hypotheses.
- Model development and implementation.
- Presentation of results at scientific meetings.
- Participating in writing grant proposal
Interested candidates should submit an application comprising: a letter of interest with details of their research experience, interest and future plan (1-2 pages), a full curriculum vitae, contact information for three references and the PDF of your best paper (optional). For full consideration, please submit your application by April 20th, 2021. The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
NUS is one of the top universities in Asia, and its geography department has recently been ranked as the 5th best in the world. This position offers an excellent environment for working with a highly skilled interdisciplinary team and will provide chances to collaborate with researchers at both national and international institutes.
Please contact Dr. Xiangzhong (Remi) Luo (email@example.com) with any questions regarding the position or application process.
- PhD in ecology, physical geography, earth science, plant physiology or a related field (preferably less than 3 years postdoctoral experience).
- Proficient coding skills in at least one of Matlab, R and Python.
- Knowledge of ecophysiology and plant biochemistry is a plus.
- Experience working with data relevant to plant traits, remote sensing or eddy covariance is a plus.
- Strong numerical and communication skills.
- Evidence of ability to publish results in relevant journals.
- An ability to work in an integrated team environment.
Location: Block AS2-03-01
Organization: National University of Singapore
Employee Referral Eligible: