Communications & Engagement Officer
King's College London is one of the world's top universities, with an award-winning communications team. An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and experienced Communications and Engagement Officer to join the team and be a key player in shaping the future of student communications at King’s.
The Communications and Engagement Officer will lead on the organisation and delivery of campaigns and content for student communications across multiple digital channels, including social media. This role will work with the Education and Students Function to elevate and amplify timely and engaging content relevant to the student journey. The role will also work closely with King's College London Students' Union to develop joint campaigns and initiatives.
• To create engaging and timely content for student audiences across multiple digital channels, including writing content for the student news webpages and creating visual content for social media
• To support stakeholders to develop student facing content and to amplify content relating to the student lifecycle
• To ensure that content is representative of King’s diverse student community and relevant to current student experience
• To use research and industry best practice to enhance student experience through communications
• To provide advice and guidance to student ambassadors creating peer to peer content
• To develop and implement social media campaigns for key points in the academic cycle and institutional priorities.
What you'll need to succeed
You’ll be a driven communications professional with a passion for engaging students. To be successful in this role, you will be an excellent writer and have the ability to create content for multiple digital channels, including social media. You will have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills with evidence of building good working relationships with stakeholders at all levels. We’re looking for someone to become a source of expertise in student communications for the institution, supporting and influencing other areas of King’s to become champions of student communications best practice.
This is an indefinite/full-time contract subject to 6 months probation period
• To create appropriate, engaging, and timely content for student audiences across multiple channels
• To work closely with the Education and Students Function to ensure that the student lifecycle is reflected across all communication channels
• To develop and lead engaging campaigns from concept to delivery and evaluation
• To develop opportunities for student generated content that encourages a sense of belonging across key digital channels
• Work closely with colleagues and students to create engaging content and develop stories
• Liaise with King’s College London Student Union (KCLSU) on shared campaigns and commitments
• Recruiting and training Student Ambassadors; producing relevant training materials and delivering training, providing guidance and support and running regular debrief sessions with ambassadors
• Work collaboratively to implement an overarching activity plan that delivers optimum engagement opportunities for current students across multiple channels
• Ensure the university’s student digital channels are updated with the latest capabilities and user requirements
• Respond to enquiries as required
• Provide line management for student ambassadors, ensuring that they have clear objectives and are managing their workload appropriately
• Engaging a high level of interpersonal and communication skills to build relationships and work with stakeholders effectively
• Producing content and ensuring information is up to date
Evaluation and Reporting
• Manage continual evaluation and review of activities including gathering, interpreting, and presenting data; identifying areas for improvement; and collecting feedback
• Researching the sector and gathering student and staff feedback to inform the direction and development of student facing communications.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Educated to degree level or equivalent professional experience
2. Knowledge and understanding of the higher education sector and challenges
3. Excellent writing skills and ability to translate complex policies into accessible information for a range of audiences
4. Excellent IT skills and a high level of technical aptitude (including use of Office, video editing programmes, content management systems)
5. Experience of developing and implementing content plans, including content creation and maintenance across digital channels (email/web/social media/mobile)
6. Experience of managing social media accounts, including content planning, creation and community management
7. Experience of using analytics to measure and improve channels and content
8. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with evidence of building good working relationships with stakeholders at all levels
9. Experience of coordinating content with multiple contributors and stakeholders
10. Excellent time management and organisational skills, able to manage own workload and prioritise tasks in a busy work environment
11. Proactive approach with the ability to work independently and flexibly, but also as part of a team
1. Experience of developing and delivering engaging, innovative and interactive content, optimised for a student audience
2. A passion for technology, particularly digital, with awareness of new channels and trends.