The purpose of this role is to effectively manage a team of cleaning operatives within the cleaning service and ensure customer focussed ‘service excellence’ is delivered in a world class university.
The Duty Manager will work directly with the wider Cleaning management team to programme, schedule and ensure delivery of efficient, high quality, planned and reactive cleaning that exceeds user expectations across the entire campus/building while always looking to innovate and raise standards.
The Duty Manager will be responsible for the on-site cleaning teams. The post holder is responsible for all aspects of their teams’/shift’s performance both in terms of cleaning standards as well as attendance/timekeeping/behaviour.
The goal is to build a team that is genuinely inhouse and is committed to the values of King’s and our Fit for King’s programme.
The two work patterns available are 5:00 to 13:00 or 14:00 to 22:00, Monday to Friday with some flexibility required for occasional weekend working.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
- Responsible for ensuring the efficient, high-quality cleaning of the designated campus/building through effective rostering, staff management and motivation.
- Through full and timely adherence to all King’s HR policies manage all aspects of staff performance including but not limited to sickness absence monitoring (reporting/return to work interviews/sickness absence management); AWOL; holiday planning and requests; performance monitoring and improvement.
- Working closely with the Resourcing, Performance and Compliance Team to respond to staff shortages to prevent service failure.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with wider cleaning management team, resourcing team and campus operations colleagues to ensure a One Team approach to service delivery
- Lead on recruitment, induction and training suitable staff including conducting a full induction and ongoing training in order that expected standards are understood, maintained and where possible exceeded.
- Ensure that staffing levels are adequately maintained by coordinating the team’s Supervisors/Team Leaders and Operatives’ annual leave, sickness absence and cover for training.
- Execute the operation in accordance with the agreed staffing levels to keep within the contracted hours and time requirements to ensure excellent customer service and proactive issue resolution.
- Control all operational costs within agreed budgets as set by the Associate Director of Facilities (cleaning and security) and order all consumables/materials to ensure sufficient resources at all times while ensuring effective stock control.
- Be an ambassador for ‘Fit for Kings’ ensuring all staff operate with the values and behaviours as outlined within the ‘Fit for Kings’ programme.
- Monitor customer satisfaction and service delivery monthly, through meetings, monthly reporting, auditing, and Plan-on reviews in conjunction with the Head of Resourcing, Compliance and Performance and Compliance Coordinator.
- Carry out frequent quality audits with the Supervisor, Cleaning Management and Campus Operations colleagues to ensure service delivery is being met, escalating any issues and successes to the relevant management members.
- Ensure that all H&S documentation is up to date, maintained and accurate and ensure health and safety of all employees and building users in relation to the cleaning operation.
- Identify areas of improvement or innovation and drive forward service improvement.
- Ensure all administration is undertaken to provide management with the information they require to given deadlines.
- Ensure that all processes and standards as outlined in the CSS Staff Expectations & Standards document are adhered to.
- Uphold, safeguard, and promote Kings’ values and philosophy relating to ethics, integrity, and corporate social responsibility.
- Represent both your Campus cleaning team as well as the wider CSS team at meetings and events as requested. Ensuring that information is cascaded in both directions as required and directed
- To ensure we can build both service excellence and resilience to our operations, postholders may be required to work flexible across the King’s campuses as required
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Excellent people management and problem-solving skills
2. Strong organizational skills and time management that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
3. Excellent demonstratable knowledge of cleaning methodologies and equipment for a wide range of surfaces
4. Excellent customer focus with a demonstratable approach of ensuring the customer is at the heart of all decision making
5. Extensive experience of cleaning programming and delivery – running a cleaning operation over numerous buildings and managing large teams across complex buildings
6. Experience of managing allocated budgets and revenue spend and ensuring effective reporting, data analysis and presenting data in succinct and well-written manner
7. Attention to detail, drive, an eye for quality and a determination to deliver a world class service for a world class university
8. Strong interpersonal skills are required in order to build close relationships with the site teams and collaborate closely with managers and colleagues in other roles as well.
9. Work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries
10. Willingness to work evenings, nights and weekends as required
11. Proficient with Microsoft Office package
1. Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese
2. Experience of management and organisational skills gained in a range of different organisational environments
3. Experience in auditing cleaning standards
4. Experience with supplier/contract management
This post is subject to Disclosure and Barring Service and Occupational Health clearance.
Link to vacancy: https://jobs.kcl.ac.uk/gb/en/job/032026/Duty-Manager