Postdoctoral Research Associate in Centre for Craniofacial and Regenerative Biology
At the Centre for Craniofacial and Regenerative Biology at King’s College London, a prestigious European Research Council (ERC) funded vacancy exists for a Post Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA). The prospective PDRA will operate as part of the ERC team. The aim of the presently available PDRA is to drive forward a new paradigm of Raman endoscopy technology that enables comprehensive molecular characterisation of bladder cancers. The ideal applicant will have either experience in machine learning in the Matlab or Python environment or bioengineering and spectroscopy.
Key activities relate to characterisation of tissues and development of deep learning for molecular analysis. The recruited individual will complement our multidisciplinary team working on Raman spectroscopy for optical biopsy. The post involves close and active collaboration with researchers, engineers, and clinicians. Working and collecting data for analysis with established platforms already present within our teams is of paramount importance to ensure project cohesion and strong links with the members of the team. It is expected that the individual is highly independent and self-motivated. The PDRA will join a vibrant, multidisciplinary group in a fully equipped optics lab at King’s College London working on various aspects of optical microscopy, disease characterisation and translational biophotonics
This post will be offered on fixed term contract for 24 months
This is a Full time post - 100% full time equivalent
- Develop Raman techniques and deep learning approaches for molecular characterisation
- Contribute to project management tasks
- Maintain accurate and up-to date technical documentation of the delivered software and hardware
- Contribute to the dissemination of the research through publications, conferences and public engagement activities
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Education in Math, Computational Science, Bioengineering, Physics or related technical discipline
2. PhD or equivalent industrial experience in computational science, bioengineering or a related field
3. Knowledge of AI (machine learning / deep learning)
4. Knowledge of and experience using the Matlab or Python programming languages
5. Ability to work with a variety of people on several projects
1. Knowledge of optics and photonics
2. A demonstrable record of publications in peer-reviewed conference proceedings and scientific journals
* Please note that this is a PhD level role but candidates who have submitted their thesis and are awaiting award of their PhDs will be considered. In these circumstances the appointment will be made at Grade 5, spine point 30 with the title of Research Assistant. Upon confirmation of the award of the PhD, the job title will become Research Associate and the salary will increase to Grade 6.