Technology Enhanced Learning Officer
The Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine seeks to appoint a Technology Enhanced Learning Officer to be part of the Digital Education Team providing day to day support in Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL). Additionally, you will have a particular focus on the design, setup and configuration of online assessment activity supporting Faculty educational processes. You will additionally, as required, be responsible for the support of blended learning and teaching activity and VLE (Moodle) routine support to facilitate the delivery of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the Faculty, including staff support and training.
You should have a degree relevant to e-learning/computer science or a related field (or equivalent relevant work experience). You will have a proven ability in providing eLearning and TEL and VLE support, delivering academic and professional services staff development training within this area and a track record of utilising TEL within a higher education context.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
- To work closely with the Director of Digital Education, Digital Education Team and Faculty Assessment Teams in the setup, configuration and delivery of online assessment solutions.
- To provide training and support to academic and professional services staff.
- To support technology enhanced learning, online and flexible pedagogy – acting as an educational developer to assist and advise staff.
- To support course delivery and configuration, assisting with adapting and on occasion, creating learning materials for online delivery.
- To provide advice and guidance on the best use of Moodle VLE to support teaching and learning activities
- To support the technical aspects and VLE course and programme administration within the Faculty.
- Actively participate in relevant university and faculty engagement activities.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Degree in Technology Enhanced Learning or Education or equivalent experience
- Evidence of an active commitment to professional development
- Excellent general IT skills
- Strong communication skills, in particular when conveying complex information to a lay/non-expert audience
- High standard of English, both in formal documents and writing for the web
1. Experience of using Moodle or equivalent VLE
2. Experience of designing, building and implementing assessment solutions (question banks, question types)
3. Good understanding of web technologies, standards and best web management practice including device agnostic or mobile-first approaches to responsive design
4. Experience in multimedia production (e.g. podcasting, vodcasting, lecture capture, screencasts)
5. Supporting and/or managing projects through to completion
6. Experience in multimedia production (e.g. podcasting, vodcasting, lecture capture, screencasts)
7. Knowledge of relevant legislation, including and not restricted to accessibility and data protection.
8. Balance competing workloads
9. Able to proactively problem solve and set and meet personal targets and to participate in the setting and meeting of group targets, ability to work under pressure
10. Strong commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace
1. Knowledge, experience and skills of delivering training and providing support to academic and professional services staff.
2. Experience in online education, educational development and/or content creation
3. Producing learning /training materials for different audiences
4. Working in Higher Education