Professor with a Specialization in Parasitology
Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position Professor with a specialization in parasitology
Workplace: Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 3-year contract (with possible extension), academic position
Working Hours: 1,0 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: negotiable
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: 22 September 2021
EU Researcher Profile: R 4
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
The Department of Botany and Zoology at the Faculty of Science, MU is an important center of research and teaching in the field of evolutionary biology, biosystematics and ecology. The research groups investigate the phylogenetic relationships and classification of organisms, their diversity from the local to the continental level, and the ecological relationships of species, populations, and communities in relation to natural and human-mediated changes in entire ecosystems.
- Professor with a specialization in parasitology
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- University degree in biomedical or a related field with postgraduate education in the field of parasitology, the academic title of professor in the field of parasitology or a closely related
- Experience in the academic environment for at least 15 years
- Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written)
- Internationally recognized expert in the field of parasitology and parasitic diseases of animals and humans, with an emphasis on zoonoses and emergent diseases
- High publishing activity in the field of parasitology and related fields
- Experience with the popularization of scientific outputs
- Experience in obtaining project resources at the national and international level
- Extensive international cooperation established within the realized projects and the ability of further development
- Experience in leading bachelor's, master's and doctoral students in the Czech Republic and abroad
- Practical experience with teaching at the university min. 5 years
- Activity to obtain project resources, time flexibility, coping with stress situation, creative problem solving, openness and cooperation
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to prof. Andrea Vetešníková Šimková, Ph.D., email: email@example.com, phone +420-549497363.
- Possibility to build your own professional team within the parasitology working group
- Implementation of own research projects
- Involvement in teaching and supervising students
- Work at an internationally renowned workplace of parasitology
- Fully equipped laboratories of parasitology, biochemistry and molecular biology
- The possibility of using the services offered within the cooperation of individual MU workplaces
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Flexible working time
- Employee benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by September 22, 2021 via an e-application.
The candidate shall provide following:
- Copies of diplomas concerning the previous education and university degree (professor)
- Motivation letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Concept of planned research for a period of 5 years
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!