Associate Professor - Politics & International Relations
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Department of Politics and International Relations teaches the ideas, norms, institutions, and practices constitutive of politics that are vital for understanding local, national, international, and global politics today.
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules in the various sub-disciplines that constitute Politics and/or International Relations.
- Supervise postgraduate essays/dissertations and theses.
- Conduct and publish research in international, accredited journals and reputable university presses.
- Take on administrative roles within the Department and the Faculty of Humanities.
- A completed PhD in Politics/Political Science or International Relations.
- 5-10 years lecturing experience in the discipline of Political Science or International Relations.
- Evidence of 4-5 research units in accredited journals.
- A track record of post-graduate research supervision.
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills.
- Excellent teaching skills and good interpersonal skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Capacity to administer large undergraduate modules.
- Ability to work with others.
- Knowledge of various subfields of politics.
- Able to teach large groups (± 150)
- Experience in the integration of ICT in teaching and learning as well as electronic assessment techniques e.g., Blackboard.
- Willingness to teach postgraduates in various sub-disciplines of politics and/or international relations
- Experience in curriculum development
Enquiries regarding job content: Dr Bhaso Ndzendze (Head of Department) at (011) 559 7504
Enquiries regarding remuneration and benefits: Lungisa Zihlangu (HR Business Partner) at (011) 559 2956
LOGIN AND APPLY ONLINE AT http://jobs.uj.ac.za
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.