Senior Research Officer, Microscopy Data Specialist
Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis
- Exciting opportunity to join a multidisciplinary microscopy team and make a significant contribution to local and national projects developing capabilities for the storage and analysis of microscopy data
- Full Time, fixed-term appointment until 30 June 2023
- Salary range: Level 7; $90,862 - $100,814 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (CMCA) is UWA’s core characterisation facility. The CMCA’s mission is to enable research excellence by providing access to world-class scientific infrastructure and expertise in characterisation to researchers and industry. It comprises ~30 academic, research, technical, and administrative staff supporting a diverse range of imaging and analytical instrument platforms
About the opportunity
You will work closely with expert academic and professional staff leading the various instrument platforms within the Microscopy Australia node at UWA to develop and support the storage and analysis of microscopy data using local and remote computational platforms. You will help implement data storage, transfer, and management tools, working cooperatively and constructively with Microscopy Australia staff within CMCA and at other institutions, research groups, central IT services, and, where appropriate, national data management bodies and activities. Furthermore, you will provide training and day-to-day support to researchers wishing to make use of local data storage solutions and national cloud-based data processing capabilities
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in a relevant scientific field related to microscopy or demonstrated equivalent competency
- Substantial experience in data management and analysis involving complex research data
- Substantial experience in devising and applying workflows for data management, including post-processing and image analysis, for the transformation of data into reportable outcomes
- Excellent skills in microscopy-relevant data analysis and visualisation tools including open source and/or licensed software such as python, ImageJ, MATLAB, Avizo, Digital Micrograph, and/or software for cryoEM data processing
- Ability to provide training and day-to-day support in data management and analysis in a research context
Note: When required, there will be occasional after hours/weekend work as well as interstate and overseas travel
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. Please see the position description attached prior to applying.
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria.
Closing date: Monday, 16 August 2021 11:55 pm AWST
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.