Business Engagement and Innovation Manager
Durham Energy Institute
Grade 7: - £33,797 - £44,045
Fixed Term - Full Time
Contract Duration: To 30 September 2024
Contracted Hours per Week: 35
Closing Date: 25-Aug-2021, 6:59:00 AM
Job Family: Business Process and People Services
OUR CHARACTERISTICS: We are a globally outstanding centre of teaching and research excellence, a collegiate community of extraordinary people, in a unique and historic setting.
OUR VALUES: We are inspiring, challenging, innovative, responsible and enabling.
Durham University is one of the world's top universities with strengths across the Arts and Humanities, Business, Sciences and Social Sciences. We are home to some of the most talented scholars and researchers from around the world who are tackling global issues and making a difference to people's lives.
The University sits in a beautiful historic city where it shares ownership of a UNESCO World Heritage Site with Durham Cathedral, the greatest Romanesque building in Western Europe. A collegiate University, Durham recruits outstanding students from across the world and offers an unmatched wider student experience.
Durham University seeks to promote and maintain an inclusive and supportive environment for work and study that assists all members of our University community to reach their full potential. Diversity brings strength and we welcome applications from across the international, national and regional communities that we work with and serve.
It is expected that all staff within the University:
- Contribute to our learning culture by engaging in mentoring, training and coaching.
- Positively contribute to fostering a collegial environment; as well as demonstrating commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Have due regard to Health and Safety requirements appropriate to grade and role.
Family key attributes
Roles in this family provide a comprehensive service and deliver the efficient administration and governance of the University.
Overall family purpose
- Deliver direct and indirect services to stakeholders.
- Provide advice and answer queries as part of an enquiry-desk/help-desk function.
- Respond to and manage requests for information and resources.
- Deliver services to meet regulatory requirements and procedures.
- Plan and deliver a joined-up approach to University business and people services.
- Align business processes and services to meet operational and strategic policy objectives.
- Deliver business processes to ensure effective management, governance and the economic viability of the University.
- Encourage, collaborate and participate in the development of productive cross-institution relationships and working.
- Provide excellent professional services that meet strategic and operational goals and business needs.
- Carry out monitoring, analysis, development and planning to design new services and service updates for continuous improvement whilst meeting changes in regulations.
- Engage with specialist professionals, consultants, and suppliers to exchange knowledge and facilitate partnership working.
- Work collaboratively and network across the University with staff in other families to ensure a smooth, timely and high-quality delivery of service.
- Align and deliver programmes and activities to meet operational and strategic objectives to enhance the stakeholder experience.
- Engage and encourage participation with external professionals, schools, alumni and donors.
The Department and role purpose
Durham Energy Institute is a Research Institute within Durham University focussed on coordinating interdisciplinary energy research across all departments within Durham University. The Institute seeks to promote Durham’s research, developing engagement with partners both nationally and internationally, engaging with relevant stakeholders, supporting pathways to Impact and attracting funding for energy research. The DEI also supports energy education through its Centres for Doctoral Training, Taught and Research Masters in Energy and the Apprentice Levy MBA and programme of outreach activities Reporting to the Executive Director of Durham Energy Institute, the role will:
- lead on the Institute’s business engagement and innovation strategy and activities;
- support academics wishing to develop industry partnerships, collaborations and impact in energy research across the full spectrum of the University’s research activities; and
- contribute to developing UK and international partnerships and networks in order to advance the strategic interests of the Institute and the University.
The postholder will be required to work independently and within the team to develop a programme of work/activity within the Institute aligned to the DEI strategy.
- Recognised professional practitioner and project management specialist.
- Implement changes to the design and development of service processes, techniques and deliverables for one or more service strands or project streams.
- Provide specialist expertise and support with complexity of data and information sources, interpretation and analysis.
- Provide specialist expertise and support with organising events, applying for funding, writing research proposals, establishing research and innovation projects and partnerships.
- Contribute to development of operational service activities to ensure excellence in the stakeholder experience.
- Collect and analyse stakeholder feedback to help define future service needs and requirements and the design and planning of services, ensuring excellence in service provision.
- Represent the work of the DEI to public and private sector stakeholders, identifying and developing internal and external relationships, partnership working, networking and participation to engage and influence future services and the University reputation.
- Identify and design activities to meet learning objectives and outcomes.
- Deliver events, training, teaching and/or development delivery for stakeholders.
- Maintain an awareness of current policy for University and DEI business goals such as widening participation and access, and provision of advice using specialist knowledge.
- Contribute to and lead business meetings, working groups and sub-committees at departmental and operational service levels.
- Responsible for managing small budgets for consumables and some capital items, keeping records and processing invoices.
- Responsible for leading and delivering the DEI business and industry stakeholder engagement and contacts database.
- Support academic stakeholders in the development of research profile, impact and case studies, including organisation of industry focused events and meetings, training briefings, and showcasing materials.
- Supporting academics to make links with industry and identify opportunities for developing research in partnership with industry and for industry impact.
- Provide management for stakeholder service areas and/or processes, ensuring a high-quality and timely service to all stakeholders, including prospective, existing and past students and staff.
- Contribute to leadership teams and decision making to shape the nature and level of support services, including supporting and advising the Institute Directors to develop an Institue strategy for industry engagement, innovation and delivering demonstration projects.
- Developing and managing strategic partnerships, including managing engagement with Advisory Board, and communicate with all stakeholders using appropriate media and methods.
- Liaise and work closely with staff across the University to co-ordinate activity, support impact and ensure successful delivery of DEI Engagement and Research Strategies.
- Build and sustain an influential network of contacts both internally and externally to influence and promote the Durham reputation and facilitate knowledge exchange and impact through local, national and international communities, identifying and developing opportunities for new communities of practice and external relations.
- Analyse service data and provide reports to Service Heads making recommendations for improvement as appropriate.
- Provide proactive and comprehensive input and support to Directorial Team, relevant research leads and other internal stakeholders to achieve strategic and operational priorities.
- Provide advice to stakeholders in relation to University, School and or Department policy, procedures and regulations.
- Ensure the review and improvement of systems and procedures in line with University, School, Department or unit frameworks.
- Distribute service information and provide advice to stakeholders regarding compliance and regulations, including providing specialist support in the production and writing of research proposals.
- Ensure regulations and procedures are updated to take account of internal and external changes.
- Coordinate and oversee a stakeholder engagement programme of work.
- Contribute to the delivery of activities that generate external income, including providing support for identifying industry partners for research bids, writing bids and gathering letters of support as and when needed.
- Provide training and/or instruction to stakeholders.
- Awareness of the external environment and sector best practice to support high quality services.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Recruiting to this post
In order to be considered for interview, candidates must evidence each of the essential criteria required for the role in the person specification above (including those listed in the section ‘Realising Your Potential Approach’).
In some cases, the recruiting panel may also consider the desirable criteria, so we recommend you evidence all criteria in your application.
Please note that some criteria will only be considered at interview stage.
How to apply
We prefer to receive applications online. Please note that in submitting your application Durham University will be processing your data. We would ask you to consider the relevant University Privacy Statement https://www.dur.ac.uk/ig/dp/privacy/pnjobapplicants/ which provides information on the collation, storing and use of data.
What you are required to submit
- A CV;
- A covering letter which details your experience, strengths and potential in the requirements set out above;
Please ensure that you submit all documentation listed above or your application cannot proceed to the next stage.
For further information please contact:
At Durham University, our aim is to create an open and inclusive environment where everyone can reach their full potential and believe our staff should reflect the diversity of the global community in which we work. We welcome and encourage applications from members of groups who are under-represented in our work force including people with disabilities, women and black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
We will notify you on the status of your application at various points throughout the selection process, via automated emails from our e-recruitment system. Please check your spam/junk folder periodically to ensure you receive all emails
Person specification - skills, knowledge, qualifications and experience required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to develop excellent working relationships both internally and externally.
- Proven IT skills, including use of Microsoft Office.
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience).
- Experience of the full project lifecycle with recognised formal project management qualification(s) or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record of delivering projects on time, to budget and to agreed scope.
- Experience of implementing policy and procedures and involvement with future changes for a service area.
- Experience of providing specialist advice and guidance to a range of customers and colleagues, including more senior colleagues.
- Experience of being able to network effectively and develop strong and productive working relationships, to influence perceptions of the University.
- Experience of developing and implementing stakeholder engagement strategies.
- Continuing professional development required to maintain professional recognition.
- Experience of delivering projects within the higher education sector.
- Experience of budget management and resource allocation.
DBS Requirement: Not Applicable.