Lecturer/Assistant/Associate Professor, School of Robotics
DEPARTMENT: School of Robotics
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINES: Electrical and electronics, mechatronics, controls, or robotics engineering; computer science, artificial intelligence, computer vision, mobile robotics, machine learning, data science and analytics
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer, Assistant/Associate Professor depending on qualifications and experience
LOCATION: Suzhou Industrial park campus & Taicang campus
- Lecturer: 23,150-25,594RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 28,615RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
- Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
- Associate Professor: 36,127-40,189RMB (with the opportunity to go to 42,705RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 15 August 2021
JOB ID: 1895
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The school is one of 6 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), and there is the capacity to grow further within the college to a total of 10 schools. Common to each School is an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company, which has been jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching. The governance and management of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the Taicang campus.
The School of Robotics is jointly developed by the University and an industry partner – Siasun, to deliver the industry-themed programme(s). The first degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BEng Intelligent Robotics Engineering.
Siasun is the international headquarter of Siasun Robot & Automation Co., Ltd. in Shanghai. It is committed to creating a leading-edge international, innovative and platform-based for the industry of robots. The main businesses of Saisun include intelligent robots, intelligent manufacturing, and industry incubating. For more information please see www.siasun-in.com/.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
We are looking for future colleagues from candidates in all the fields of electrical engineering, computer science, robotics systems, robotic engineering and mechanical engineering who can:
- engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches,
- understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative spirit, in line with the ethos of the campus and college,
- deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners,
- supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students,
- conduct high-quality research, as shown by publications in leading journals,
- provide administrative service to the School, the University and its stakeholders.
The School of Robotics is adopting a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position will attract individuals embodying these SE values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The School seeks faculty members who thrive by creating impact through authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery, and action-oriented inquiries. These creative educators adopt a systems mindset and use their knowledge, skills, and experiences to co-design and deliver an enriching educational experience for students. They view education as an integrative and life-long transformative process.
- A doctoral research (normally PhD) degree in electrical and electronics, mechatronics, controls, or robotics engineering; computer science, artificial intelligence, computer vision, mobile robotics, machine learning, data science and analytics or a closely aligned discipline; or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching.
- Clear understanding of the philosophy and concept of Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Demonstrable past teaching/industry experiences or practices aligned with Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Be willing to take further teaching training courses under the UK Professional Standards Framework (PSF).
- Fluency in English.
- Strong team-work spirit.
- A good track record of engagement with business and industry.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Relevant industry experience.
- Appropriate research experience for the corresponding academic position level.
- Experience in block teaching.
- An institutional builder, able to work with wider disciplines across the Taicang campus.
- For non-Chinese applicants, two years, full time, same subject teaching in a college/university is required by the Chinese work permit policy.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Eng Hwa Yap, Dean of School by email on EngHwa.Yap@xjtlu.edu.cn.
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the recruitment officer.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.