Postdoctoral Researcher in Marine Robotics
- Join a world-class marine robotics research team
- Be part of the development of novel Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) for littoral survey
- Full time, 2 year fixed term position, offering competitive remuneration and generous employer's contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney's Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR) is one of Australia's leading robotics research groups and undertakes fundamental and applied research in the area of field robotics. Our marine systems group is focused on the development of novel imaging payloads, sensors and vehicle systems for marine survey, visualisation, clustering and classification of extensive marine-based image archives, characterisation of change in multi-year surveys and adaptive mission planning for multi-vehicle systems. We lead Australia's Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) AUV facility and undertake marine surveys at sites around Australia and overseas. We are also a core member of the Defence Cooperative Research Centre (DCRC) in Trusted Autonomous Systems (TAS), led by Thales Australia.
In the ACFR, we have funding available through the DCRC TAS program to support a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow to undertake fundamental and applied research related to the development, design and deployment of novel AUV systems for littoral survey. The project will explore vehicle design, navigation, perception and control systems that will allow teams of vehicles to operate in nearshore environments. Applications include rapid environmental assessment and mine counter measures operations but also extend to environmental monitoring, marine archaeology, deep-sea geology and asset inspection.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow who has:
- a PhD in a relevant field
- extensive knowledge of autonomous marine systems
- practical knowledge of AUV systems, including vehicle design, perception, communications, navigation, planning and control
- field experience deploying underwater or other advanced robotic systems are desirable
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
Closing date: 11:30 pm 25 August 2021
How to Apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University and would like to submit an application, please login into your Workday account.
Navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard once logged into Workday and click on the USYD Find Jobs report to apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Linden Joseph or Rebecca Astar, Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Academic Posts jobs in Sydney
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Fellowships jobs in Sydney
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Postdocs jobs in Sydney
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Related jobs in Sydney
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Associate jobs in Sydney