Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Discipline of Business Analytics
- Opportunity to work with leaders in the field of data analytics, econometrics and behavioural data science
- Opportunity to work directly with the research project partner - the Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Located on the Darlington Campus
- Full time fixed term for 12 months with possibility of renewal, academic level A, offering a base salary of $98K to $105K p.a., and generous employer's contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The Discipline of Business Analytics at the University of Sydney offers an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to work on a project that pursues breakthroughs in behavioural data science for Finance and Fintech. The advances will be achieved through interdisciplinary research, combining recent advances in machine learning, Bayesian computation, financial econometrics and the increasing availability of large datasets. The project also looks at possibility of applying quantum computing to speed up the computation. The methodologies developed will lead to a greater accuracy in financial services, and open up new horizons for ethical and responsible personalization in finance and fintech.
The project is conducted in partnership with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and led by Professor Ganna Pogrebna.
We are seeking to appoint a postdoctoral researcher with expertise in related areas such as data science, statistics, machine learning and econometrics. Familiarity with behavioural science/experimental economics and/or social psychology is not essential; but will be an advantage. Successful candidates will work closely with a multidisciplinary and international team of leading researchers in Australia and overseas.
The Discipline of Business Analytics is one of the foremost groups in Australia undertaking research in Econometrics, Statistics, Operations Research and Machine Learning with applications to business problems. The discipline has research strengths in the areas of financial econometrics, statistical learning, deep learning, optimisation, network analysis, among other things.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for two Postdoctoral Research Fellows who possess:
- a completed PhD in econometrics, statistics, quantitative finance, data science, computer science or related field
- evidence of ability to conduct high-quality research
- strong mathematical and programming background and problem-solving skills
- proficiency in Python and/or R
- an emerging track record of academic publications in high quality refereed journals
- an ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- excellent communication skills
To be considered for this position, please provide examples from your experience, knowledge and skills that directly address the above elements in your cover letter and upload it online. Applications that do not specifically address these elements will not be considered.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Camperdown-Campus/Postdoctoral-Research-Fellow---Behavioural-Data-Science-for-Finance-and-Fintech_0083470-1 on the University external careers site. to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Closing date: 11:30 pm 8 August 2021
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.