Online and Executive Programmes Manager
Online and Executive Programmes Manager
Job ID: 028167
Salary: £46,292 – £54,534 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance
Closing date: 08-Aug-2021
Business unit: Social Science & Public Policy
Department: School of Security Studies School Office
Contact details: Mary Boitz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Strand Campus Professional and support services
The School Online and Executive Education Manager will work alongside the School Education Manager to provide leadership and line management to the Education function in the School of Security Studies as this relates to online and executive education programmes. The role works across two sites, the Strand Campus in London, and the Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC) in Shrivenham, monitoring and supporting delivery of high quality client relationships and student experience, and ensuring that service delivery issues are addressed and resources are utilised.
The role-holder will ensure consistent team management and delivery of online and executive programmes through high quality administrative support. They will be responsible for the quality assurance of new and ongoing online and executive programmes. Together with the School Education Manager, and reporting to the Heads of School Administration, the role-holder will also contribute to, and provide support for, the School’s strategic planning, education policy and programme development.
The School of Security Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Science and Public Policy, and consists of the Defence Studies Department (Shrivenham), the Department of War Studies (London) and the King’s Institute for Applied Security Studies, which spans both sites. The School delivers high quality degree programmes, Professional Military Education (PME) and fully online and executive short courses across the field of war, defence and security studies.
This post will be offered on a full-time, fixed term contract for 8 months.
- To co-ordinate the delivery of effective programme administration support to online and executive programmes, to ensure standard operating processes and procedures are in place and are complied with.
- To design and develop, alongside the School Education Manager, the education support service in the School, in light of needs, to ensure its effectiveness and quality.
- To produce policy, procedures and guidelines on education support processes across the School (in particular where these relate to online and executive programmes), in liaison with the Faculty and University.
- To work closely with academic staff on the development of new online and executive programmes; to take a lead on new module development; and to co-ordinate approvals and monitoring for ongoing programmes, including collaborative projects and CMA requirements
- To be responsible for the management of a comprehensive and effective programme administration service for online and executive programmes across the School, working proactively with the Heads of School Administration, the School Education Manager, the School professional services team, education networks and College education teams.
- To coordinate teaching quality assurance processes in relation to online and executive programmes, including quality audit reviews by both internal and external agencies, ensuring that quality assurance requirements and, where required, accreditation requirements are met.
- To be the School lead and specialist on regulatory guidance for online and executive programmes and modules, as well as overall academic regulations, and ensure that relevant students and staff receive appropriate advice.
- To develop and implement with the School’s Education leads and the School Education Manager an education strategy integrating both contracted and standard programmes. This includes action planning in response to student survey results and other student feedback as well as planning for future strategic developments.
- To lead on the implementation of new initiatives to enhance the quality of online and executive educational provision in the School, and to oversee the implementation of university’s developments which have an impact on these programmes.
- To lead on establishing, implementing and communicating local and central education regulations, procedures and policies in relation to online and executive programmes and support their development.
- To facilitate effective communication within the team and other departments of the university which support teaching and learning
- To represent the views and opinions of the School on matters regarding quality assurance, programme administration and student experience functions on working groups and committees.
- To monitor education performance on online and executive programmes against targets and key performance indicators, to produce reports as necessary, and to advise the Head of School, Head of School Administration and Heads of Departments.
- To support the Senior Leadership Team in the preparation of strategic planning, reviews and policy development with regard to online and executive programmes.
- To be a member of the School/Departmental Education Committees, providing expert advice as necessary.
- In leadership and management: to embed a culture of continuous improvement in the team; to champion change management activities; to set objectives and allocate work appropriately (taking into account the objectives of the School and Departments); to motivate individual team members and help the team focus; to maintain an oversight of workload, team structure and utilisation of resource in line with strategic plans, reporting on successes and setbacks and providing analysis to inform the changing shape of the service; to take remedial action if required, offering feedback, support and advice to the team; to carry out performance development reviews, identifying performance, training and development needs, setting expectations with direct reports, KPIs and agreed timeframes; and to be part of the School Senior Management Team, advising the Head of School and Heads of School Administration on matters concerning education in the School.
- In finance and planning: to support the KIASS leadership team in the planning and allocation of physical and human resources for teaching on online and executive programmes; to manage the KIASS education budget under the supervision of the Head of School Administration (KIASS); to work with the HoSAs on short/long term student planning in relation to ongoing programmes, including student number planning, fee structures, joint programmes and new collaborations; to work with the education leads and senior school managers on planning and implementation of new online and executive programmes including comprehensive business cases, quality assurances, submission, marketing and implementation; and to contribute to cases for resourcing of major online and executive education projects within the School.
- Be responsible for liaising with the King’s Students and Education Directorate on matters affecting students on online and executive programmes.
- Co-ordinate, together with the School Education Manager, the administrative support for the School’s reporting on the Teaching Excellence Framework, Quinquennial reviews and any other quality assurance reports
- Maintain up to date knowledge, participate in professional development, and provide training and support to the team when policies change and issues arise
- Cover for the School Education Manager as required
- Deputise for the Heads of School Administration as required
- Undertake any other duties that might reasonably be required by the Heads of School Administration.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Proven ability to communicate at all levels to a diverse group including to ability to draft documents and translate complex regulations, processes and information to a wide audience
- Proven ability to use initiative, prioritise workloads and respond positively to situations arising at short notice
- Strong interpersonal skills including motivating, influencing and negotiating with stakeholders
- Substantial administrative experience gained within a HE environment
- Experience of managing and supporting teams through change with strong line management, creating high performing teams
- Experience of managing a diverse team including motivating and performance management, developing and maintaining a positive, proactive culture of continual review and development
- Experience in managing HR, staff development and budgets
- Relationship and customer service oriented, collaborative and enjoys working with colleagues at all levels across different functions with the ability to build strong internal/external networks
- Awareness and understanding of government HE polices, experience of working within regulatory and statutory frameworks and current issues in the field
- Experience of managing strategic projects (long and short term)
- Experience of managing online and executive education programmes
- An understanding of and desire to improve the student experience
- Strong commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace