First Instructor, Department of Civil Engineering
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
FIRST INSTRUCTOR (Re-advertisement)
PEROMNES LEVEL 9
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
It will be expected of the successful candidates to:
- Electronic measurement equipment
- Supervise execution of tests using electronic measurement equipment
- Schedule using of measurement testing activities
- Create consciousness and enforce safety and occupational health measures
- Institute and implement preventive maintenance procedures on instrumentation
- Testing projects
- Execute testing projects
- Conduct data processing and interpret data
- Document testing projects in reports for external clients
- Teach and support students
- Prepare student practicals
- Develop equipment for effective practicals
- Act as demonstrator for student practicals
- Teach and support undergraduate and postgraduate students with testing skills
- Support students with the acquisitioning of equipment and materials
- Maintain and upgrade testing instrumentation
- Troubleshoot and fix faulty equipment
- Manage the use of all instrumentation
- Perform or organise maintenance of all electronic measurement instrumentation
- Identify new equipment for upgrade of laboratory facilities
- Obtain quotes for new electronic measurement equipment
- Train students and personnel in the proper use of electronic measurement equipment
- Supervise service and laboratory housekeeping personnel (Workshop Assistant)
- Manage cleaning and housekeeping of electronic measurement equipment store
- Perform assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature).
- 3 year Diploma in Electronics, Computer Science or relevant field;
- 3 years’ experience in the field of sensors and electronics in a laboratory / field environment), Basic data analytics using commercially available software packages (MS Office) or programming languages (R, Python), Integration of new hardware and software platforms and information technology infrastructure within a research environment
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- 3 year Bachelor’s/BTech degree (Electronic sensors / Civiltronics or related)
- 1 year experience in
- Cloud services
- Development and programming of sensors and sensor networks in an IOT / Arduino / Raspberry Pi and related environment
- Programming experience, preferably Python / C / C++
- Experience with sensors and microcontrollers such as Arduinos and Raspberry Pi. Basic IoT sensor platform development, deployment and maintenance of devices
- Exposure to additive manufacturing technologies, especially 3D printers and associated software applications
- 2D/3D CAD software and technical drawing experience
- Maintenance and upgrading of computer hardware and basic network administration
- Commercial IoT experience and / or integration (SigFox, LoRA, Wi-Fi)
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 4 August 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Mrs Nochundre Parker - E-mail: email@example.com for application-related enquiries, and Prof Wynand Steyn - E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 October 2021 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.