Research Fellow, Pharmacy
A Post-Doctoral Fellow position is available in A/Prof Victor Yu’s laboratory at National University of Singapore (NUS). The prime interest of the laboratory is to investigate the key signalling and disease mechanisms associated with the MOAP-1 (PNMA4) and PNMA2 proteins. To facilitate a better understanding of the work being pursued in the laboratory, prospective applicants are urged to refer to the following papers published by the laboratory:
- K.O. Tan et al., MAP-1 is a mitochondrial effector of Bax, (Track II), Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 102: 14623-14688, 2005. (https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0503524102)
- N.Y. Fu et al., Inhibition of ubiquitin-mediated degradation of MOAP-1 by apoptotic stimuli promotes Bax function in mitochondria, (Track II), Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 104: 10051-10056, 2007. (https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0700007104)
- N.Y. Fu et al., Baxbeta: a constitutively active human Bax isoform that is under tight regulatory control by the proteasomal degradation mechanism, Molecular Cell, 33: 15-29, 2009. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcel.2008.11.025)
- S.K. Sukumaran et al., A soluble form of the pilus protein FimA targets the VDAC-hexokinase complex at mitochondria to inhibit host cell apoptosis, Molecular Cell, 37: 768-783, 2010. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcel.2010.02.015)
- C.T. Tan et al., MOAP-1 Mediates Fas-Induced Apoptosis in Liver by Facilitating tBid Recruitment to Mitochondria, Cell Reports, 16:174-85, 2016. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2016.05.068)
- C.T. Tan et al., MOAP-1-mediated dissociation of p62/SQSTM1 bodies releases Keap1 and suppresses Nrf2 signaling, EMBO Reports, 22: e50854, 2021. (Featured as the cover story in Jan, 2021 issue: https://doi.org/10.15252/embr.202050854)
- H.C. Chang et al., The BAX-binding protein MOAP1 associates with LC3 and promotes closure of the phagophore, Autophagy, 2021. (https://doi.org/10.1080/15548627.2021.1896157)
Responsibilities of the successful candidate:
- Planning and execution of one or more research projects
- Assisting PI in supervising junior staff and students.
- Participation in preparation of manuscript and grant application
- Contributing to the team effort to ensure full compliance on rules and regulations concerning safety and ethics (e.g. OSHE, IACUC etc).
Interested candidates please submit full curriculum vitae, contact information for 3 references to A/Prof Victor Yu (email@example.com).
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Qualifications / Discipline:
- Recent PhD degree (within three years) in Molecular and Cell Biology or related fields
We seek highly motivated individuals who are deeply interested in cell signaling mechanisms that are relevant to facilitate understanding of major diseases affecting the aging population such as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and neurodegenerative disorders. Individuals with background in autophagy, senescence, inflammation, and metabolism will be given priority in consideration. Applicants with research experiences in cell/mouse models and molecular/cell biology techniques (e.g., primary cell preparations, CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing, confocal microscopy, FACS, histology, IHC, IF or protein-protein interaction) are preferred.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Department : Pharmacy