Job Profile Student Support - Learning Support
Contract Type Permanent
To provide confidential support and advice for disabled students (including applicants) to ensure they are able to access all aspects of the academic environment. The post holder will be expected to maintain a case load of students, and ensure reasonable adjustments are appropriately deployed. To oversee local arrangements for support with a partner staffing agency, dealing in particular with the more complex cases. To provide comprehensive advice regarding funding such as the Disabled Students’ Allowance and ensure that all pertinent information is accurate and reflects the student’s support needs and requirements for financial and quality assurance audits. The post holder will contribute to the work of the Learning Support Service in the promotion, monitoring and review of the Service and ensure that the BPP’s commitment to Equality and Diversity, under the Equality Act 2010, is adhered to.
- To respond to student’s disability disclosure in line with service level agreements and Policy.
- To meet and advise students; evaluating support requirements based on individual entitlements and academic standards.
- To produce Learning Support Agreements and reviews based on the outcome of assessments, medical evidence, specialist reports and Learning Support interviews.
- To disseminate pertinent student information to tutors, Learning Support Officer and other relevant staff in accordance with Disclosure Agreements, to ensure adjustments and ‘preferred way of working’ are accommodated.
- To ensure that all Learning Support documentation is accurate and that sufficient evidence is provided to support adjustments and entitlements and that this is recorded in line with Data Protection requirements and Learning Support Office requirements.
- To maintain a caseload of students providing one to one support as required.
- To advise academic staff and departments including facilities teams on appropriate reasonable adjustments to ensure individual students can access their studies.
- To liaise with internal and external agencies and partners as required.
- To provide BPP site orientations for students with sensory impairments and on the autistic spectrum as required.
- To assist students with applications for the Disabled Students’ Allowances and other sources of funding.
- To contribute to the Learning Support Service by providing an advice/support service advice/support service
As outlined in job background
Department University Education Services - Equality & Diversity
Vacancy location UK, Midlands, Birmingham
- A degree and ideally a disability related qualification, however applications from candidates with appropriate and relevant work experience or other equivalent qualifications will also be considered.
- Significant experience and understanding of working with individuals with a range of disabilities
- A proven track record of giving advice, guidance and facilitating support for disabled people, preferably within an educational setting.
- An ability to empathise, and be non-judgmental with all students regardless of background and beliefs.
- The ability to deal sensitively and diplomatically, whilst maintaining boundaries within a confidential setting.
- An excellent understanding of the implementation of reasonable adjustments ideally in an educational context.
- An understanding of inclusive approaches to teaching and learning.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience of working in a team, and working independently within a professional setting.
Please view attached JD for a full list of essential criteria.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo an Enhanced DBS check plus barred list.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore the successful candidate will be required to declare any convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings that are not protected, as defined by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended in 2013).
Contract Hours 37.50
Full Job Description
Disability Advisor JD July 2021.pdf (27 Kb)