Professor Business Education
Professor Business Education
Department of Strategy, Management and Marketing
Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus
Salary: £61,167 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 15 August 2021
Interview Date: Tuesday 07 September 2021
Located in a modern £300M campus in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, the Business School is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring student centred learning community committed to high quality teaching, scholarship and professional practice, impactful research and business engagement. Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the School has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investments. We are now seeking a Professor of Business Education who will work with colleagues to develop and embed innovation within the curriculum and ensure that our T&L practices are underpinned by a research-engaged pedagogy which adds value to the student experience.
As a member of the Business School professoriate, you will:
- Be responsible for nurturing and mentoring academic staff on the teaching, professional practice and scholarship career pathway as well as working with the Associate Director (Education & Student Experience) to develop interventions aimed at improving student satisfaction, addressing attainment differentials and enhancing graduate employability prospects.
- Contribute to the strategic development of BCBS's business and management education, research and scholarship portfolio through textbooks, articles, policy reports and applied research emerging from the projects
As our Professor of Business Education, you will:
- Contribute to teaching in a subject relevant to the Business School.
- Lead pedagogic innovation and develop a culture of continuous improvement within the School.
- Encourage and support the development of innovative approaches to teaching and to provide support and advice to colleagues on utilising a range of pedagogic techniques in their teaching practice.
- Run workshops, training sessions and discussion groups on developing teaching and learning practice open for all staff and for specific subject groups/ departments.
- Establish and lead a cross School T&L, professional practice and research/scholarship cluster and work with colleagues on delivering tangible outputs which contribute to the School's REF, TEF and KEF ambitions.
- Take the lead responsibility for the delivery of one or more strategic education projects within the School. These projects might cover any aspect of the development of business education, including curriculum design, assessment, technology-enhanced learning, knowledge exchange, student support & effective pedagogies.
- Act as a mentor for staff on the T&L career pathway.
Our Professor of Business Education will have:
- A PhD or higher degree in a relevant subject.
- An educational qualification and / or recognition such as PFHEA and or NTF status.
- Experience of supervising doctoral students (including DBA students).
- An emerging international reputation for business education or a subject relevant to the Business School.
- A well-developed research and scholarship plan
- The ability to write strong research and knowledge transfer bids and able to evidence a track record of securing external funding
- Experience of working with business partners on developing bespoke C-suite executive education
We consider this position ideal for an aspiring professor seeking promotion through a teaching and learning pathway.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate outstanding achievement in one of the following three categories and either outstanding achievement or a very high level of achievement in one of the other two:
- Learning and teaching.
- Research, creative work, consultancy, professional practice, or performance to the furtherance of a subject.
- Academic leadership.
‘Outstanding’ in this context typically means showing demonstrable international reach, while a 'very high level of achievement' normally refers to national recognition.
For further information, please contact: Professor Deborah Lock (Deborah.Lock2@bcu.ac.uk), Director, Birmingham City Business School.
The University is committed to internationalism and diversity and welcomes applications from all countries, faiths and backgrounds.
It is each individual successful applicants responsibility to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Some applicants may require sponsorship from the University and a visa from UKVI to take up the role if successful. More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Some roles are not capable of sponsorship because they do not meet the UKVI criteria relating to skill and salary level. If you are unsure as to whether you would require sponsorship if successful, or whether the role is capable of sponsorship, please contact us: RTinbox@bcu.ac.uk
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
At Birmingham City University we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. All staff are expected to understand and enact the University’s commitment to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion in our employment practice and in all that we do . This commitment is enshrined in our Core Values and is detailed in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Employment Policy. The University values and celebrates the diversity of our staff and students; we welcome people from the many different backgrounds and life experiences that reflect the students and the citizens we serve. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and actively encourage unique contributions, in particular from under-represented groups in respect of age, disability, sex, gender or gender identity, ethnicity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender status
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here.