Postdoctoral Fellow, Development and Demonstratons of Energy Efficient Refrigeration
About the position
We have a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Fellow within the Refrigeration research group on the topic of " Development and demonstration of energy efficient refrigeration and heat pumping systems for a climate neutral food business ". The appointment has a duration of 4 years.
The Refrigeration research group has a well-established expertise and network as regards of advanced heating and cooling systems applying natural working fluids for various applications within different industrial sectors. In close cooperation with SINTEF the group is involved in several national and international research projects.
The background and framework for the research work is the ongoing EU project ENOUGH. SINTEF and NTNU are leading demonstration tasks, related to advanced heating and cooling technologies for the food chain.
Therefore, fundamental numerical modelling is required to develop systems and to analyse and validate experimental results from the demonstrators. Process integration and dynamic system modelling is the main research focus area. Dynamic system modelling using Dymola and the object-oriented language Modelica is a flexible and powerful tool to study different thermal processes and systems. It allows to perform parametric studies to optimize the dimensioning and layout of the system including different kind of systems and thermal storage devices. Dymola/Modelica is currently used within the research team in Trondheim.
The latest start up time for the position is October 2021.
The Head of Department is Professor Terese Løvås. The position reports to Professor Armin Hafner.
Duties of the position
The scope of the research work of the post doc is dynamic modelling on both the fundamental and system integration level of a combined absorption-compression heat pump using an ammonia-water mixture as working fluid. Experimental investigations will be performed by the post doc and a team of students to demonstrate that outlet temperatures of up to 160°C can be achieved. The disseminated results (journal papers made by the post doc) will be based on both numerical work and experimental investigations conducted in the advanced laboratory at NTNU and other demonstrator sites of ENOUGH.
Required selection criteria
- A postdoctoral research fellowship is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree related to refrigeration technology / systems or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree
- The candidate must be able to perform the above-mentioned experimental work based on previous documented experience
- The candidate must be able to perform the above-mentioned dynamic simulations based on previous documented experience
- Experience with refrigeration system design and relevant scientific publications within the field of high temperature heat pumps, absorption-compression, and relevant CFD simulations are counted as an advantage
- Excellent English skills, spoken and written are required. Applicants from non-English speaking countries outside Europe must document English skills by an approved test. Approved tests are TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Expertise and experience from experimental laboratory work and analyses related to refrigeration and heat pumping systems
- Experience in Dymola Modelica (dynamic simulations)
- Experience with refrigeration system design and modelling
- Number of published journal papers within the field of refrigeration and heat pump technology
- Enthusiastic and motivated
- Able to work in a structured and goal-oriented manner
- Able to work efficiently both independently and in a team
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment and project
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 4 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must accompany the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available by the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Research plan or project proposal for a thorough investigation of an energy system (freezing, chilling and heat pumping) of a demonstration site within the food chain
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 5 works)
- Name and address of three referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Armin Hafner, email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Megan Norris, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas, certificates and other required documents. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Applicants with European Master`s qualifications from outside Norway are required to include a Diploma Supplement. Applicants with Master`s qualifications from China are required to include confirmation of Master`s Diplomas from China Credentials Verification (CHSI): http://www.chsi.com.cn/en/.
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-182/21when applying.
Application deadline: 31.07.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Energy and Process Engineering
We conduct research and teaching covering the entire energy chain, from resources to the end-user. We look at how energy is produced and used by humans and machines in a sustainable way with regard to health, climate change and the resource base. The Department of Energy and Process Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 31st July 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service