Lecturer, Engineering Geology
FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGY
LECTURER ENGINEERING GEOLOGY (ONE POST)
PEROMNES LEVEL: 8
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Lecturing undergraduate courses in geology and engineering geology;
- Lecturing honours courses in engineering geological topics, including site investigation, rock engineering and construction geology;
- Participating in research projects on vadose zone processes and mechanical behaviour of rock and soil;
- Supervising of honours, masters and doctoral research.
- An applicable Geology MSc or PhD;
- Specialization and research experience in engineering geology, with an appropriate scientific publication record;
- Experience in presenting undergraduate courses in geology, engineering geology and honours courses in engineering geology;
- Experience in supervising student research projects.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Ability to attract postgraduate students;
- Collaboration with other researchers and institutions;
- Attendance and presentation at local and international conferences;
- Raising research funds;
- Good language and communication skills;
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Strata Control Certificate;
- Passion for engineering geology and academia;
- Appropriate research publications and lecturing experience;
- Experience in engineering geological site investigations and rock engineering projects such as mine stability, slope stability, large infrastructure development in rock masses, and conceptual and computer modelling of rock masses;
- Registered with a professional scientific registration authority.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 07 July 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.