Junior Research Group Leader in Information Systems or Computer Science or Computational Linguistics
The FernUniversität in Hagen is Germany’s only state distance-learning university. On the basis of its blended learning model, it offers flexible, location-independent degree and continuing education programs, making higher education accessible to students in a variety of life situations. It conducts a wide range of theoretical and applied research in its five faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences, Psychology, Mathematics and Computer Science, Economics and Business Administration, and Law, as well as in interdisciplinary research clusters.
A position is available immediately with a flexible start date at the interdisciplinary research cluster D²L², Digitalization, Diversity and Lifelong Learning – Consequences for Higher Education, a recently implemented, faculty-independent central research unit of the FernUniversität in Hagen which is currently in the process of expanding, for a
Junior Research Group Leader in Information Systems or Computer Science or Computational Linguistics - research area digitally supported teaching/learning
The position is offered for an initial three years, with the option of a 2-year extension following an interim evaluation. The positions are full-time with a gross salary range of 54,000 to 67,000 euro annually, which is calculated according to the candidate’s prior experience and qualifications based on level 14 of the collective bargaining agreement for German civil service employees (TV- L).
D²L² investigates frameworks for and consequences of digitalization in the higher education landscape. Current areas of focus include defining and assessing educationally relevant aspects of student diversity and using technology to develop adaptive approaches to teaching and student support. Further/future areas of interest are, among others, the design and evaluation of conversational agents, digital diversity, and socio-technical system design.
The Junior Research Group Leader is encouraged to actively shape the cluster's future research strategy and activities and will cooperate with D²L²-members from various disciplines. They include researchers at the FernUniversität as well as high-ranking cooperating institutions such as the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI), the German Institute for Adult Education - Leibniz Center for Lifelong Learning (DIE), Humboldt Universität zu Berlin (HU) and the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) in Berlin.
- Design the group’s research profile and build up an internationally visible, independent research group that makes central contributions to the cluster in the areas of information systems, computer science, or computational linguistics.
- Central contributions will include (i) publishing in high-ranked publications, (ii) collaborating with other D²L² members, (iii) with the relevant background: software development/implementation, (iv) attracting additional funding, and (v) advising and engaging PhD candidates.
Your profile - you are:
- An independent postdoctoral researcher with a strong publication record
- Able to conduct highly visible and high-impact research and willing to attract additional funding for your research group
- Interested in interdisciplinary and collaborative research and open to new ideas
- Able to supervise PhD candidates
- The opportunity to conduct independent research in a unique environment which enables field experiments with a large and highly diverse student body
- Financial and material support for your research including a funded PhD position and further funding for materials and expenses contingent on your research proposal (for example, student assistant, technical equipment and support, etc.)
- An open, stimulating and interdisciplinary work environment where good ideas are encouraged and supported
- The opportunity to teach in the faculty nearest to your discipline
We offer you an interesting position with a great deal of independence, as well as a salary according to the collective labor agreement for German public service and a supplementary pension through the state pension agency Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder (VBL). You will also benefit from our extensive opportunities for continuing education and professional development, wide range of occupational health services, and family-friendly policies and services.
The FernUniversität in Hagen is committed to increasing the proportion of women in research and teaching. Qualified female candidates are expressly encouraged to apply. Women with equal qualifications, abilities and professional performance will be given preferential consideration, unless there are compelling reasons for preferring an outstanding male candidate. Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. Part-time employment is possible.
Did we spark your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your application (in English or German) with the following documents by 04.07.2021 via our online portal under https//e.feu.de/13451364.
1. An application consisting of: (a) letter of motivation (1 page); (b) curriculum vitae; (c) list of publications; (d) link to Google Scholar/ResearchGate profile (or similar); and (e) copy of certificates;
2. An outline of the concept for a research group demonstrating the link to the cluster´s
scientific framework and existing projects, including a short outline for a PhD project (max. 2 pages);
3. The name and contact information of two referees (position, professional address, phonenumber and email).