Senior Lecturer, Department of Information Science
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SCIENCE
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Teaching at various undergraduate and honours levels as determined by the Head of Department, with expertise in one or more of the following: information and knowledge management, competitive intelligence, information retrieval, data curation and data science;
- Supervision of final year projects;
- Supervision of postgraduate students at honours and master’s level, and at least co-supervision of doctoral level students;
- Conducting both independent and collaborative research, publishing research articles in accredited journals, and presenting at applicable conferences;
- Developing a research programme in their area of expertise and/or expanding existing research programmes;
- Participating in the department’s strategic initiatives regarding teaching, research and community engagement;
- Academic administration and other duties as determined by the Head of Department.
- A doctoral degree in Library/Information Science, Information and Knowledge Management or a very closely related field;
- Publications in accredited journals, conference proceedings and book chapters. Preference will be given to international platforms.
- Appropriate working experience either in academia or industry.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Excellent language and communication skills;
- Excellent teaching and research skills;
- Good presentation skills;
- Very good scholarly writing skills;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to work in teams and to lead teams.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Preference will be given to candidates with specialisation in information and knowledge management, information organisation, information literacy, competitive intelligence, information retrieval, data curation or data science, and with the ability to teach in more than one field of specialisation;
- Evidence of University teaching experience;
- Evidence of membership of relevant scholarly and professional associations;
- A proven research record supported by publications/conference papers in peer reviewed journals/conference proceedings will be an added advantage – specifically international journals and conference proceedings, and a balance between sole and collaborative authorship;
- Industry experience within the field of Information Science/ Library Science/ Knowledge Management and the preferred sub-disciplines;
- Management and leadership skills in dealing with working groups (research and teaching);
- Being a team player in the co-ordination of academic administration-related activities.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- A brief teaching portfolio;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 28 June 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Mrs Ronel Gropp, Tel: (012) 420 3762 (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) for application-related enquiries, and Prof Ina Fourie, Tel: (012) 420 5216 (E-mail: email@example.com) for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.