Lecturer/Senior Lecturer Department of Mercantile Law Faculty of Law
2 days left
- Full Time
FACULTY OF LAW
DEPARTMENT OF MERCANTILE LAW, CYBER LAW, INSURANCE LAW, CORPORATE LAW, AND BANKING LAW
LECTURER/SENIOR LECTURER (nGAP) (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Department of Higher Education and Training is implementing the New Generation of Academics Programme (nGAP) under Staffing South Africa’s Universities Framework (SSAUF) in partnership with South African state universities. Phase 7 of the nGAP has been approved by the DHET and its implementation is currently underway. The University of Pretoria has been allocated 5 posts for this phase as mentioned below. The posts are institution-based and permanent. The aim of this advertisement is to recruit candidates that have a passion for pursuing a career in academia. The University invites applicants who are 40 years or younger with a Master’s or PhD degree or who are currently enrolled or plan to enrol for a PhD degree and who are from under-represented designated groups to apply for positions in the departments listed below. The diversification of the University’s academic staff complement constitutes an important aspect of the nGAP and UP’s Strategic Plan.
The incumbents will be required to:
- Participate in a formal development programme aimed at strengthening their aspirations and skills as researchers and lecturers;
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses;
- Mentor and supervise postgraduate students;
- Conduct collaborative research in their research specialisation areas;
- Play an active role as academics, nationally and internationally;
- Complete their PhD studies in instances where these have not yet been completed;
- Assume limited administration responsibilities in their departments.
- A Master’s degree in any of the following fields: Cyber Law, Insurance Law, Corporate Law or Banking Law;
- Demonstrable potential to become a competent lecturer at undergraduate level in any of the listed fields;
- Demonstrably strong potential to become an established researcher in any of the listed fields.
- A doctoral degree in any of the following fields: Cyber Law, Insurance Law, Corporate Law or Banking Law;
- Proven teaching experience in any of the listed fields;
- Proven record of publications in any of the listed fields;
- Proven record of supervision of postgraduate students to completion.
- Good communication skills;
- Experience in interdisciplinary, collaborative research;
- Proven record of national and international teamwork;
- Leadership potential.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Applicable practical professional experience;
- Postgraduate supervision/teaching experience;
- Participation in academic conferences, seminars and workshops;
- Ability to plan and initiate discipline-related research;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team;
- Appropriate communication skills;
- National and some international recognition in own field of expertise by peers in the discipline.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV (utilising the UP format downloadable from the University website);
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- At the level of Senior Lecturer, names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 22 JUNE 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr Louw Botha (firstname.lastname@example.org / 012 420 4038): Manager: Learning and Development.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by end of July 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.