Research Assistant, Microbiology
Research Assistant @ NUS Medicine BSL-2e lab
The Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (NUS Medicine), National University of Singapore operates containment facilities to support research and diagnostic work for infectious diseases including COVID-19. The NUS Medicine Biosafety Level (BSL) -3 and BSL-2 enhanced (BSL-2e) facilities are equipped with a range of laboratory equipment with advanced technologies.
The successful candidate is expected to support risk group 3 virus research especially, to perform inactivation in BSL-2e and BSL-3 laboratories after completing all necessary training in both routine laboratory work practices and emergency response SOPs. The Research Assistant/Laboratory Technologist will also have the opportunity to be familiar with translational antiviral strategies development as well as animal study.
- Work with Risk Group 3 pathogens including COVID-19 clinical samples as well as SARS-COV-2 virus isolates and perform inactivation.
- Performing cutting-edge research using molecular biology, virology and proteomics approaches for antiviral strategies developments.
- Perform antiviral research with murine models of viral infections.
- Prepare materials and conduct presentation to both internal and external parties.
- Recordkeeping and reporting.
- Assists lab manager in the provision of an effective and efficient administration of the laboratory service.
- Provide day to day support to various laboratory team in-charges to ensure smooth running of the laboratory.
- Assists laboratory safety officer to prepare and maintain pessary documents, records and updating the relevant regulatory policies. Provide support to safety officer to conduct inspections and audits.
- Work closely with the BSL-3 & BSL-2e Core Facility Research team and support the other department level projects.
Bachelor Degree in Medical/Clinical Laboratory Science, Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Virology or equivalent degree.
- At least 2 years of experience working in BSL-2 laboratory
- Experience in virology related lab work,basic molecular biology, and cellular biology techniques will be an added advantage.
- Experience in handling of small research animals will be an added advantage
- Ability to speak and write well in English.
- A positive attitude with a good team player.
- Excellent interpersonal communications (oral and written) skills with attention to details.
- Highly motivated and willing to learn new techniques/software, etc.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment including respiratory protection equipment during the experiment period.