Professor/Associate Professor and Head Of Department
FACULTY OF ECONOMIC AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
In the pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- The strategic, academic and operational management of the Department ;
- Promoting the Department’s research profile;
- Ensuring scholarly academic and professional education and training;
- Playing an active role as academic leader of the discipline at a national and international level;
- Fundraising for departmental activities.
- A doctorate in Economics;
- Recognised academic status and international recognition in the relevant discipline;
- A proven research and publication record;
- Experience in the supervision of postgraduate students (Masters and PhD students);
- Experience in high-level liaison with internal and external stakeholders and professional bodies;
- Established national and international profile and networks;
- Resource mobilisation, including fund-raising experience;
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- An appropriate vision for the Department.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Managerial experience at a tertiary institution;
- A strong research record in one of the department’s research specialisation fields.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of qualification and experience, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to complete the online application on the UP website by accessing the link: www.up.ac.za/Careers@UP
Applicants are required to attach the following documentation in support of their application:
- A comprehensive and updated Curriculum Vitae;
- A brief self-evaluation by the candidate;
- The candidate’s vision for the department;
- Names and contact details (telephone and e-mail details) of 3 contactable referees, including referees who can attest to the candidate’s academic and/or leadership qualities.
CLOSING DATE: 25 June 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
By applying, candidates agree to the appointment process as set out in the relevant UP policy document. This process can be accessed at http://www.up.ac.za/services/personnel/policies/w113E.doc
The headship is a term appointment for a period of four years, but external candidates will also be considered for a permanent academic appointment as Associate Professor or Professor. Preference will be given to the incumbent for re-appointment for a second term.
Candidates will be expected to deliver a 15 minute presentation to the Appointment’s Committee on his/her vision for the Department.
ENQUIRIES: Mrs Ziyanda Mashalaba, Tel: (012) 420 2655
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 July 2021 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.
More searches like this
- Economics & Econometrics Senior Management & Heads of Department jobs in South Africa
- Economics & Econometrics Heads of Department jobs in South Africa
- Economics & Econometrics Academic Posts jobs in South Africa
- Economics & Econometrics Professors / Chairs jobs in South Africa
- Economics & Econometrics Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in South Africa