Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Thermoacoustic Stability of Reheat Flames
About the position
We have a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow in the Thermo-fluids Group at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering, Faculty of Engineering Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
Hydrogen will play a key role in our future energy system. This carbon-free fuel can serve as energy storage medium and may be produced from excess renewable energy or via carbon capture from natural gas. Large-scale power production from hydrogen is therefore desirable, and stationary gas turbines are the most promising technology for this task. However, presently available combustor technology is not capable of burning undiluted hydrogen because of its high reactivity. The best candidate is a reheat combustor architecture, but unsteady phenomena in the form of thermoacoustic oscillations are a severe challenge.
The aim of the present project is to provide modeling tools for the prediction of unsteady phenomena in hydrogen-fueled reheat combustors.
The position has a duration of 2 years and starts as soon as possible, but no later than September 2021.
The position reports to Associate Professor Jonas Moeck.
Duties of the position
- Development of stability prediction tools for staged reheat combustors operating on hydrogen.
- Analysis of experimental and numerical data for model refinement and validation.
- Dissemination of project results in scholarly journals and at international conferences.
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD
- You must have a professionally relevant background in engineering or physics
- Strong expertise in fluids dynamics, acoustics, and combustion.
- Experience in experimental or numerical work in a thermo-fluids context, preferably with combustion.
- Excellent command of the English language; skilled in academic writing.
- Proficient user of Matlab, Python or similar for data processing.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- In-depth knowledge of combustion dynamics/thermoacoustic oscillations.
- High-quality journal publications.
- Enthusiastic and motivated.
- Able to work in a structured and goal-oriented manner.
- Able to work efficiently both independently and in a team.
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 545 300 per annum, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works – published or unpublished – that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 5 works)
- Name and contact details of three referees
- “Qualification” document, in which you detail how you meet the required qualifications listed above (max one page). An application missing this document may be considered incomplete by the selection committee.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Jonas Moeck, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Guro Hoel Sjøberg, e-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-168/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 23.06.2021.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Energy and Process Engineering
We conduct research and teaching covering the entire energy chain, from resources to the end-user. We look at how energy is produced and used by humans and machines in a sustainable way with regard to health, climate change and the resource base. The Department of Energy and Process Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 23rd June 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Duration Fixed Term
Place of service Trondheim