Senior Research Engineer
Location: Southampton Science Park, Chilworth
Salary: £39,152 to £49,553 Pro rata per annum
Part Time Fixed Term for 8 months
Closing Date: Wednesday 19 May 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
There is considerable potential for career development, e.g. development of commercial products and services in partnership with industry, consultancy, conceptualising and bidding new projects. There are also opportunities to develop your skills through creation of state-of-the-art big data and AI technologies to solve problems for the NHS and and industry partners such as IBM, Thales, and Nokia.
Your experience of digital transformation, health systems and working with multiple stakeholders including communities will be beneficial to help us as we work with partners to establish data institutions for accelerated and trustworthy data sharing, and to investigate the way data risks are managed in complex and adaptive systems. The work is part of our research programme tackling health and social care transformation through big data and AI technologies.
You will be responsible for the design and development of digital strategy for implementation and adoption of advance data governance technologies with healthcare and potentially other domains such as smart cities and manufacturing in the future. The role will involve developing and engaging stakeholders including service providers and communities in the design of software solutions that incorporating expert systems and AI-based approaches to risk management.
To be successful it is essential you have the following:
- Growing and consistent national reputation in digital transformation
- Significant experience within health or equivalent domain
- Strong analytical and applied research skills including demonstrable track record of collaborative and multi-disciplinary thinking
- Demonstrable examples of developing new and emerging technologies that have created positive change and impacts to business and society
- PhD or an equivalent combination of qualifications and experience in computer science, software engineering or a related discipline
The following would be advantageous
- Knowledge of NHS strategy, health systems, AI, data science and data governance
- Membership of relevant professional body.
- Experience of systems architecture and technical strategy
- Commercial experience of applying IT-based research to real-world problems
- Track record of consultancy activities
We offer competitive salary, 30 days holiday a year plus bank holidays and up to 6 University closure days, flexible working (around core hours), and the option to join the USS pension scheme with an 18% employer contribution.
The University of Southampton is in the top 1% of world universities and in the top 10 of the UK’s research-intensive universities. The University of Southampton is committed to sustainability and being a globally responsible university and has recently been awarded the Platinum EcoAward. Our vision is to embed the principles of sustainability into all aspects of our individual and collective work, integrating sustainable development into our business planning, policy-making, and professional activities. This commits all of our staff and students to take responsibility for managing their activities to minimise harm to the environment, whether this through switching off non-essential electrical equipment or using the recycling facilities.
This is a part-time post at 0.8 FTE for the period of 8 months, renewable subject to funding. We wish the post to start as soon as possible.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Please note: upon appointment your job title will be Senior Enterprise Fellow.
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Hannah Farrance (HR Recruitment Team) on 02380 592750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Please quote reference 1375921FP on all correspondence.