Professor/Associate Professor in Sociology
The Department of Government and Society seeks to make an appointment to the position of Professor or Associate Professor in Sociology. The role holder will be expected to lead on advanced, internationally excellent research, securing high impact research funding, to teach and to supervise at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to contribute to admissions, examining and assessment, and to contribute fully to academic administration in both the Department and the College. They will be a recognized authority in their field, developing and maintaining a high-profile external profile and will become a leading member of a dynamic, cutting edge research culture, having access to the excellent research facilities which UAEU offers. They will have a vital role to play in the development and achievement of CHSS within the context of the strategic goals of UAEU, leading research and scholarship in their field. They will be expected to lead on advanced, internationally excellent research, securing high impact research funding, to teach and to supervise at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to contribute to admissions, examining and assessment, and to contribute fully to academic administration in both the Department, the College, and the University.
- PhD in Sociology with extensive experience teaching related courses from an accredited and reputable Western university granted through a full-time doctoral study and residency. Successful candidates should have strong theoretical and professional background in sociology and a track record of teaching courses in both undergraduate and graduate levels. Successful candidates should have abilities to work with a culturally diverse student population and a commitment to the mission of UAEU.
- Expertise in teaching online as well as face-to-face graduate and undergraduate courses is significant evidence of research productivity and successful teaching experience.
- Successful experience of teaching both graduate and undergraduate courses to a diverse student body.
- Ongoing commitment to pedagogical innovation
- Excellent record of securing research funding
- Experience mentoring undergraduate students in social science research
- Ability to teach a wide range of existing course offerings
- Duties involve teaching, conducting research, advising students and serving on dissertation committees. All teaching is delivered in English. Therefore, native English is required.
This position is for candidates in Full Professor rank, but qualified Associate Professors can also apply and will be considered in the screening process. The United Arab Emirates University hires based on merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. Duties involve full engagement in graduate and undergraduate teaching, supervising students’ research and activities, in addition to conducting high-impact research and service. Teaching is delivered mainly in English with some courses being taught in Arabic. Therefore, successful candidate should be a bilingual with native or near-native English skills. Successful candidate will make a full contribution to the academic life of the University through research, teaching, and academic service.
- Position holder is expected to have extensive teaching experience, together with a significant publication record, proven research experience and to have demonstrated academic leadership and an ability to lead and manage effectively. Faculty arriving at UAEU will join a lively, intellectually stimulating and multi-disciplinary academic community with internationally-competitive standards in research and teaching, and enjoy an excellent standard of living in beautiful surroundings on campus and outside. Professor/ Associate professor. Excellent oral and written communication Professor/ Associate professor should have skills around 2-5 years of teaching experience in a reputable university.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Division College of Humanities &S. Sc.(CHSS)
Department Government and Society- (CHSS)
Job Close Date 20-05-2021
Job Category Academic - Faculty