Consultant for Conducting Feasibility Study on Provision of Mobile Trainings
Department: School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPCE)
Duty station: Khorog, Tajikistan
Deadline: 01 June 2021
UCA’s SPCE as an implementation partner of the Energy Plus component of the Local Impact: A New Partnership in Asia and Africa project, plans to develop and launch certified technical courses for electricians to train personnel for the construction, maintenance and operation of the production capacity of energy networks and transmission lines. These courses will be delivered through SPCE’s vocational education and training (VET) programs in Khorog, Tajikistan. As an additional possibility for expansion the program SPCE has its aim to conduct mobile delivery of electrician courses for students located in the cross-border regions of Badakhshan Afghanistan and Badakhshan Tajikistan, by taking the learning environment direct to those areas which are remote and hard to reach.
To implement this idea there is need to involve a professional expert / institution / organization to assist SPCE in conducting a feasibility study into the provision of mobile courses for aspiring electricians in the mentioned regions.
Summary of Position
The consultant should conduct desk and field research on the potential for conducting electrician courses in remote areas of Tajikistan and Afghanistan through a mobile delivery mode. In addition there is a need to identify the demand and supply, as well as the method(s) of delivery for such courses that will increase access for smaller communities of Afghanistan and Tajikistan Finally, opportunities for shared use of the mobile learning resources will be identified to demonstrate possible benefits for other community-based initiatives and other training programmes offered by SPCE.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development of tools for conducting the study and approve them with SPCE Project team.
- Conducting desk-based research into mobile delivery of education elsewhere in the World, and making recommendations based on lessons learned and best practice.
- Conducting field research in rural regions of Badakhshan Afghanistan and Badakhshan Tajikistan to define the demand for electrician training through mobile delivery, and the profile of potential students.
- Interviewing internal and external stakeholders (e.g. governmental institutes, NGOs, energy companies, industrial companies/workshops etc.) to define the demand for electricians who complete the training.
- Recommending suppliers of the vehicle and equipment necessary for the mobile training laboratory. In making recommendations the consultant should include a cost/quality analysis, availability in the market, and ease of maintenance/repair/replacement in the region
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A qualified expert/organization/company with education background, preferable on TVET.
- 3-5 years of prior work experience in the field of conducting survey, study or research especially in the regional and international context.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in conducting needs assessments and conducting survey, study or research etc.
- Relevant local, regional and international experience in the required field and contexts will be an added advantage.
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills in English and Russian. Knowledge of Dari would be an advantage.
- A detailed economic feasibility study, including;
- the detailed description of the surveyed regions, indicating where the mobile trainings are in demand,
- provision of a needs analysis for the required trainings and their benefit on the inhabitants’ quality of life,
- а profile of the potential students/course participants,
- аnalyze the demand for trainings from external stakeholders and employers (e.g. governmental institutes, energy companies, industrial companies/workshops etc.).
- Provide recommendations for the specifications of the vehicle and equipment to be used for the mobile trainings in the regions.
- Recommendation of vendor(s) for providing vehicle and equipment for mobile laboratory, and ongoing maintenance
While the consultant will be responsible for delivering all activities under these ToR, the SPCE will play an active role in supporting the study in the following way:
- Providing inputs into the list of proposed interviewees and participants of the study;
- Providing feedback on developed study’s tools and questions for interviewees;
- Shadowing or leading select interviews.
- Full administrative organization of the study (e.g. room bookings, registration, visa, etc.)
- Review drafts and provide substantive feedback.
Submission of Proposals
The proposal of applicant should comprise Technical Proposal and Financial Proposal with required supplementary documents.
a. Technical Proposal
While submitting the Technical Proposal, the applicants shall ensure to attach the following:
- Profile of consultant (max 1 page) explaining why they are the most suitable for the work.
- Relevant Experience (max 2 pages).
- Detailed methodology and conceptual framework with expected deliverables and timelines, days required (4-5 pages).
- CVs of key expert/s.
- Contact information of three references
b. Financial Proposal
The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount (including a breakdown of costs for fee, and number of working days) for each assignment. Payment will be made in installments based upon key outputs i.e. upon delivery of the services in the ToR.
- 40% on signing the contract and submission of a blueprint including workplan and methodology of assignment (in English).
- 40% on submission of complete package of the survey.
- 20% on completion of all the final version of the study, after providing final comments from SPCE.
Interested applicants shall submit their proposal and through email (technical and financial proposals) detailing the individual costs for carrying out the assignment as well as the consolidated costs along with documents to support qualification and experience.
Language of the Proposal: The bid, as well as all correspondence and documents relating to the bid shall be written in English language. Supporting documents and printed literature furnished by the bidder in another language may be provided if accompanied by an accurate translation of the relevant text in English language.
Currency of the Proposal: All financial information should be provided in US$.
Format and Signing of the Proposal: The bidder shall prepare the proposal and duly sign by the person or persons authorized to bind the bidder to the contract.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1st June 2021. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Consultant for Conducting Feasibility Study on provision of mobile trainings” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.