Special Scientist, Research
Title: Special Scientist (Research)
Number of positions: one (1)
Duration: 5 months (July-November 2021) with possibility of renewal for a second term.
The Department of Law, University of Cyprus is accepting applications for the position of one 1 special scientist for research on a part-time basis in the context of the start-up research fund of Dr. Charikleia Vlachou, Lecturer in Energy Law at the Department of Law, on the topic, “Digitalisation in the energy sector”.
- Law Degree from a recognized University (LLB)
- Excellent knowledge of the English Language (proven through previous research work in English or the completion of a degree in an English-speaking university).
- Experience in conducting legal research in an academic or policy context on energy law and/or EU law.
- Good computer skills and good knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Excellent organization skills and commitment to complete duties within specified deadlines, effective report-writing skills, very good research skills
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master’s Degree (preferably L.LM.)
- Knowledge of legal issues relating to the use of Information Technology (IT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Doctorate in Law (PhD)
- Knowledge of the French and/or German language
- Research and report-writing experience on relevant issues.
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful applicant will be expected to conduct legal background research on:
- Relevant EU and Member State law (most importantly, energy law, electronic communications law as well as privacy and data protection law).
- The work carried out by EU institutions & bodies (including the Agency for the Cooperation of the Energy Regulators -ACER- and the European Union Agency for Cybersecurity - ENISA), European bodies (the Council of the European Energy Regulators and the European Networks of Transmission System Operators for Electricity and for Gas (ENTSO-E/G, the EU-DSO entity) and the Cyprus Energy Regulatory Authority (CERA) in this area.
- Legal articles and court cases (Court of justice and national courts) relating to the enforcement of the relevant regulatory framework.
- Any additional legal issues that might arise in this area.
Research will be characterized by an interdisciplinary dimension combining law, IT and economics.
The employment duration is set for five (5) months on a part-time basis to start on the 1st of July 2021. The payment is set at 783,29 euros per month (100 hours per month). From this amount, employee contributions will be deducted. The Research Funding does not provide for the payment of a 13th salary or the coverage of health care. A renewal of the contract for a second term during the year 2022 could be envisaged depending on the results of the research conducted by the Special scientist and the overall collaboration. The successful applicant does not need to be a national of the Republic of Cyprus but it is a requirement that he/she is a resident and employed in the Republic of Cyprus.
The interested applicants should send the below required documentation electronically to Dr.
Charikleia Vlachou at email@example.com by the 28th of May 2021.
- Cover letter demonstrating your interest and competence for the position
- Full Curriculum Vitae (including contact details – email address and phone number).
- Scanned copies of relevant degrees and detailed grading.
- Names and contact details (email addresses) of two persons, at least one of which should be an academic, from whom a reference letter may be requested.
- Interviews for this position will be held on the 4th of June 2021 (provisional date). At least the best three candidates that satisfy the required qualifications, will be interviewed by a 3-member Committee. Candidates shall be informed of the result of their application by the relevant entity. The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
For further information on the specific position please contact Dr. Charikleia Vlachou at firstname.lastname@example.org.