Lecturer, Department of Mining Engineering
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF MINING ENGINEERING
LECTURER (1 POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate should be committed to excellence in research related activities with specific reference to mining engineering challenges within the mining industry. It is expected that the successful candidate will contribute and expand on innovative futuristic research in mining to support and facilitate challenges associated with the 4IR and making mining more competitive globally.
- The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching of modules in the Department;
- Developing a research programme in their area of expertise and/or expanding existing research programmes;
- Publishing research articles in accredited national and international journals;
- Supervision of research done by students registered for their honours degree in mining engineering;
- Performing assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature).
- BEng or BSc Eng in Mining Engineering from a recognised institution of which the undergraduate programme is recognised by the Washington Accord or is recognised by the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) to be a substantial equivalent.
- Masters Degree in Mining Engineering
- Two years experience in relevant mine project work and mine communication and general mining engineering activities
- Relevance and experience in University research, teaching and learning
- Publication of journal articles and conference publications
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Appropriate language and communication skills
- Proven time management experience
- Appropriate teaching and research skill
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Management and Leadership skills in dealing with working groups (research and teaching);
- Being a team player in co-ordinating of academic administration related activities;
- Track record in mining research involvement;
- Preference will be given to candidates with University experience in teaching and active involvement in the mining industry related research;
- Professional registration or eligible for registration with ECSA (PrEng) and;
- Current registration as PhD candidate
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
- In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation (why you see yourself as a suitable candidate for the position?).
CLOSING DATE: 24 May 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Professor RCW Webber-Youngman, Tel: (012) 420 3763, e-mail: email@example.com for application-related enquiries, as well as for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 July 2021 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.