Special ScientistCommunication/Public Relations Officer
Title: Special Scientist (Communication – Public Relations officer)
Number of positions: One (1)
Category: Employment contract, (2-year contract, renewable)
Location: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
The Molecular Medicine Research Center of the University of Cyprus has one opening for a Special Scientist (Administrative Support Staff), funded by the research program: Biobanking and the Cyprus Human Genome Project (CY-Biobank), which is co-funded by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and the University of Cyprus.The post involves organizing a variety of communication, promotion and marketing activities
related to the dissemination of relevant information to a variety of stakeholders including the general public about the activities of the biobank.cy Center of Excellence (CoE). The post-holder will be responsible for formulating and implementing the CoE Communication Strategy and other tasks related to the center’s outreach priorities. Duties include the development and production of high quality promotional and informational material (e.g. leaflets, press releases, presentations, reports, information booklets, etc.) in several media including printed material, web-based material, videos and social media, presentation of the Center’s activities to visitors and as well as the organization of fund raising and outreach events.The CY-Biobank project revolves around the upgrading of the existing Biobank of the University of Cyprus, to a Center of Excellence in
Biobanking and Biomedical Research, adapting European standards of operation in collaboration with the Advanced Partners. This medical research infrastructure will then serve the foundation for developing the Cyprus human genome project and other genomics/genetics projects for diseases with Mendelian inheritance as well as complex disorders of multifactorial character that impact modern societies. The CY-Biobank project aspires to create a research ecosystem that will serve as an incubator for young researchers, offering them the tools and the momentum to develop innovative projects of translational research aimed at precision medicine, taking advantage of the expertise of the personnel and the center’s infrastructure.
- Identify and implement measures to effectively communicate the activities of the CoE and its research and innovation output to a wide range of audiences through a wide range of media
- Manage the CoE website including content, design and preparation of material
- Prepare reports with the activities of the Center for targeted audiences
- Prepare and distribute publicity and promotional material
- Prepare press releases and other related material directed at media
- Prepare and deliver presentations to the Center’s visitors
- Coordinate the participation of CoE researchers and academics in local, national and international events
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor`s or Master’s degree in science communication, marketing, communications, journalism or related field
- Excellent command of Greek and English language
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to work with MS Office tools, develop websites, work with social media.
- Service orientation, sociability and teamwork
- High load capacity in stress situations and high operational readiness and reliability
- Independent, structured and careful way of working
We offer an open and friendly working environment, a responsible job in a dedicated team and a challenging area of responsibility. Comprehensive continuing education offers long-term personal development opportunities.
Terms of employment
The position will be for full-time employment with a 2-year contract and potential for renewal. The monthly gross salary will be commensurate to qualifications and previous experience and ranges between €1,800 and €2,200. Employee contributions shall be deducted from this amount. There is no provision for 13th salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Maternity Protection Laws 1997 to 2011.
Submission of applications
- A letter expressing interest to the position with a brief description of qualifications (1 page)
- A brief curriculum vitae with description of previous experience (2 pages)
- Contact details for at least two people qualified to provide recommendation for the candidate
- Certificates attesting to the good knowledge of the Greek and English language, unless this is attested by the mother tongue of the candidate or he/she is a graduate of a Greek/English school/University.
At least the best three candidates that satisfy the required qualifications, will be interviewed by a 3-member Committee.
Candidates shall be informed of the result of their application by the relevant entity.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The application material should be sent electronically as one single pdf file to: firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest until 18 May 2021.
For more information the candidates may contact the Coordinator of the project, Prof. C. Deltas, Tel.: 22-892882 or Email: Deltas@ucy.ac.cy