Accountant (Senior Executive/Assistant Manager)
Finance, Planning & Logistics
The Institute for Adult Learning (IAL) invites suitably qualified and experienced Accountants to apply for the position of Senior Manager. Working closely and collaboratively with the Asst. Director / Finance, Planning & Logistics (AD/FPL) and other Senior Managers / Managers within the Department and across divisions within the Institute, the appointee will be responsible for the following job functions, and/or other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the Management to meet the needs of the organization.
- Manage all accounting transactions in IAL and comply with the institution’s and corporate financial governance, policies and procedures; and relevant accounting standards.
- Prepare, monitor and review, in collaboration with other divisions in IAL, the annual income, expenditure and development budgets; and to ensure financial discipline and marksmanship.
- Prepare the institute’s financial statements (balance sheet, profit & loss accounts) and other financial reports according to schedule and as required by relevant stakeholders. Support month-end or year-end closing, and annual statutory audits.
- Assist the institute and its various divisions to prepare budget planning for various institutional ventures, such as programmes, projects, special events and consultancy, etc.
- Analyse and monitor the trend, costs, revenues, financial commitments and budget utilization. Predict future revenues and expenses and recommend corrective actions, if required. Report organizational finances to management and offer suggestions about resource utilization, budget preparation and control, including any relevant or changing assumptions underlying budget forecasts.
- Manage and maintain an up-to-date register of fixed assets in IAL and ensuring an effective and efficient management and utilization of all fixed assets and resources in IAL.
- Monitor IAL funding and cash flow requirements to ensure operational efficiency and achievement of strategic outcomes as set out to IAL by SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). Coordinate with SSG on the funding utilization and the disbursement of fund for IAL, on a quarterly basis or as and when required,
- Supervise and guide accounting administrative staff or other managers the day-to-day financial operations within IAL, including revenue, invoices, cash flow, accounts receivables and payable etc., and conduct regular review to ensure an effective utilization of approved budgets at programme, divisional and overall IAL levels.
- Any other duties, including cross divisional project(s) that may be assigned from time to time by the management for staff capability development as well as to meet the organizational needs.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in accounting, financial management, budgetary planning and control and management reporting. Candidates must be able to prepare a full set of financial statements. Experiences gained from an established educational or training institution with CET programme offerings or services is preferred, but not mandatory
- A good understanding of educational business operations and the roles of CET or lifelong learning initiatives in the Singapore economic environment, and with some experiences in managing government grants, subsidies will be an advantage.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with attention to details, and deadline oriented.
- Strong oral and written communication, and inter-personal skills and be able to work collaboratively as a team with other colleagues and stakeholders to achieve the organizational goals and objectives
- Tertiary education. A bachelor university degree in accountancy or a professional membership of the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA) is preferred. Candidates without the required qualifications but possess the relevant experience and required skills will also be considered.