Teacher of Spanish
Teacher of Spanish
Job ID: 021844
Salary: £38,304 to £45,026 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance
Closing date: 16-May-2021
Business unit: Modern Language Centre
Department: Modern Language Centre
Contact details: Ana de Medeiros, Ana.firstname.lastname@example.org
Strand Campus Academic and teaching
- Teaching Spanish language classes at all levels.
- Supporting the Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader in the effective running of all teaching and assessment activities, course development, events and programmes relating to credit-bearing and external courses
- Contributing to the organisation of student preparation sessions for internal and external examinations (revision classes, workshops, etc.)
- Assisting, as required, in the provision of the Learning Resources Centre and e-Learning facilities, and of the library, teachers' and TEL resources
- Playing an active role in the developing/trialling/evaluating of original and/or adapted teaching materials for use in classroom and/or self-access mode
- Participating in the departmental review, development and management of activities relating to course organisation and other functions, including staff management, student evaluations, quality control, etc., and in meetings convened for these purposes
- Supporting the MLC to offer courses
This post will be offered on a full-time, indefinite contract.
- To be responsible for teaching Spanish language modules and external Spanish courses offered by the Modern Language Centre, online on campus and at partner institutions/organisations.
- To support the Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader in the planning and development of all activities related to the teaching of Spanish.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
Education / qualification and training
- Native or near native level fluency in Spanish
- Qualified to Postgraduate level in Spanish language teaching/applied linguistics or a closely related subject
- Substantial experience of teaching Spanish at all levels
- Experience in the development of original teaching materials and courses and the exploitation of language teaching via electronic media and audio-visual support, including TEL
Knowledge / skills
- Demonstrate ability to liaise with superiors, colleagues, academic/institutional clients and professional bodies
- Demonstrate a disciplined and thorough approach to professional duties
- Demonstrate ability to ensure the implementation of guidelines, strict Page 3 of 4 Version 27.04.2021 criteria, but this must be limited to 12 and 5 respectively deadlines, and quality standards
- Excellent organisational and prioritising skills
- A high command of IT skills (Word-processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, Virtual Learning Environments, educational software, Microsoft Office, etc.)
- Familiarity with UK Higher Education practice and the professional practices and requirements of clients and potential clients of the Centre
- An awareness of trends and tendencies in HE in the UK, including Policies on language learning at national level
- A very high level of proficiency in English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to represent the Centre on College committees, etc.
- Ability to conduct and supervise staff development and provide expert advice on all matters relating to the study of languages
Interviews are planned to take place online during the first week of June
This post is subject to Disclosure and Barring Service and Occupational Health clearance.