Project Manager, Campus Planning and Development, Director
7 days left
- Full Time
The University seeks an innovative and collaborative leader to serve as its resident building project manager. This is a significant leadership opportunity for an experienced professional to steward the substantial facility assets of the University. Reporting to the Vice president, (Corporate), this position will scope the overall requirements of the project and engagement of professionals to execute the building and construction of the new campuses. This position is also responsible for establishing and leading the Campus Planning and Development team.
The Project Manager will work with various stakeholders to masterplan, design, review and implement the space programme and requirements for the development of SUSS new campuses, buildings and facilities to support the university’s academic, administrative and student activities. The Project Manager is to ensure that construction occurs according to professionally developed plans and specifications within budgetary guidelines.
Job Description (Part 1)
The Project Manager will work with business clusters, land planner, architects, engineers, contractors, university management and Government agencies during the various development, planning and construction stages.
To ensure the University’s vision and missions are met, the Project Manager will conduct and participate in brainstorming, data gathering, evaluation and implementation of the innovative ideas and intent for the new campuses. The Project Manager will also drive and develop the new campuses and provide useful information like project brief to guide the university in implementing the work.
The Project Manager will represent SUSS and manage the consultants, architects, engineers, designers and contractors to ensure SUSS interests are safeguarded. This includes, and is not limited to:
- resolve technical and design issues with consultants, architects, engineers, designers and contractors
- coordinate with government agencies on any development issue
- identify potential construction related issues or /and contractual disputes and provide appropriate solution
- ensure quality tender documentation with all necessary requirements
- deliver the buildings and infrastructure on time and in an economical way, and other necessary administrative works for the development
Job Description (Part 2)
The Project Manager will:
- Lead the SUSS project team and work closely with all relevant internal and external stakeholders, to ensure the project completion is within the set budget, schedule and conformance with the contract documents.
- Lead in the budget and tender preparation to select and appoint project consultants, architects, engineers, designers and contractors, as well as coordinate and monitor their work.
- Manage all tender calling, evaluation, award and execution of direct contracts.
- Manage and liaise with all relevant parties to ensure that the projects are delivered in a safe, cost-effective and efficient manner, as well as to protect the University’s and Government’s interests.
- Develop and prepare project briefs, design specifications, user requirements and project formation, budget costing and work schedules.
- Manage the master space planning and space audit for the New Campus development.
- Review and advise on campus planning and design based on:
- best adopted industry practices for building project – sustainability and green design, functionality, constructability, maintenance and operation.
- authority requirements, code of practices, standards and guidelines.
- design for maintenance; design for safety and quality assurances following authorities’ frameworks, best practices and requirements.
- Monitor and report the progress on all building and construction works to the university’s board and management, agencies, and relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare detailed, accurate timely project reports including work schedules, implementations, deviations, change in subcontractors, stakeholder issues and other related problems.
- Establish and conduct regular scheduled meetings with appointed project consultants, architects, engineers, designers, contractors, etc. to review project preparation, approval and progress, lead times and project schedule update, manpower and cost projections, quality and performance issues on and off site, changes to project activities, and any other issues deemed appropriate.
- Ensure strict compliance with regards to building quality, maintenance, operations, fire, security, safety, health and environmental requirements set by government authorities and agencies.
- Ensure housekeeping and quality benchmarks are being met in each works area.
- Carry out regular quality checks through site inspections and reviews of the construction works during the construction period and work with the internal and external stakeholders on the building defect lists prior to handover of the completed buildings.
- Co-ordinate with the stakeholders on the schedule to move into the newly completed buildings.
- Background and Degree in Architecture, Building, Estates, Civil & Structural, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from a good University, preferably with at least 10 years of relevant working experience in Design and Building Construction Project Management.
- Good knowledge and relevant local experience in infrastructure and campus development, building construction, operations and maintenance, building laws, regulations and procedures.
- Experience in project managing public projects in consultant or developer organisation is highly advantageous.
- Highly motivated and self-driven leader.
- Proven ability to lead and manage multiple stakeholders, consultants and contractors.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong presentation and negotiation skills.
- Good organisational, administrative, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Working knowledge in engineering and construction, building budgets, industry standards and compliance, procurement, public tender and contracts.
- Technically competent in various software programmes such as Microsoft project and computer-aided design.