Postdoctoral Researcher/Doctoral Student, Department of Economics and Management
The department of Economics and Management of the University of Helsinki is a collaborator in a research project “HIILETIN”, financed by the Ministry of Forestry and Agriculture of Finland. The department of Economics and Management hosts a strong team in Environmental and Resource Economics. We are now seeking for
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER / DOCTORAL STUDENT IN ECONOMICS OF AGRICULTURAL SOIL CARBON MANAGEMENT
for a fixed-term 1.5 year contract (depending on the level of the position and starting date) to work in the “HIILETIN” project. The starting date is 1.9.2021 but can be negotiated. The position is funded initially for one and half year with a likely extension of additional one year (total 2.5 years) depending on availability of research funding. There will be a trial period of six months in the beginning.
The HIILETIN project aims to promote the carbon neutrality goal 2035 in Finland by providing information on cost-efficient methods for accumulating organic matter and reducing carbon losses from the soil, as well as planning policy instruments to increase carbon stocks of agricultural soils.
We are looking for a highly motivated researcher with a PhD or MSc degree in environmental and resource economics or related field. The planned tasks include
- literature review on the costs and effectiveness of different measures to increase carbon stocks in agricultural soils,
- develop and apply, in collaboration with other team members, numerical simulation and optimization models to assess and rank alternative measures in light of economic performance and externalities
- analysis of policy instruments to increase soil carbon stocks. The appointed researcher will work in collaboration with Dr Matti Sihvonen, Dr Sampo Pihlainen, prof Kari Hyytiäinen and other researchers of HIILETIN project.
Doctoral student: The appointee should either already have the right to pursue a doctoral degree at the University of Helsinki by the start of the appointment, or apply for the right or obtain it within the probationary period of six months of their appointment. See: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/research/doctoral-education/the-application-p...
Requirements for the position:
Education, experience and technical skills:
- A degree in environmental and resource economics, agricultural economics or other applicable field (a doctoral degree for the postdoctoral researcher position or a master’s degree for the doctoral student position).
- Experience and skills in mathematical programming (MATLAB, R or equivalent programming language)
- Experience in using numerical models (simulation and optimization) in the analysis of resource management questions or preparedness to learn.
- Fluency in English and good writing and communication skills.
Personal attributes and competencies:
- Good analytical and research skills
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to work in multicultural and multidisciplinary teams.
- High motivation for academic research
- Capability to take initiative and work both independently as well as in a team
- Innovativeness in research planning (in the postdoctoral researcher position)
- Ambition to continuous improvement based on constructive feedback, self-reflection and learning.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are requested to enclose with their applications the following documents. Please compile all documents as a single pdf file.
For both positions:
- A curriculum vitae, clearly indicating type and level of qualifications and including a list of publications (postdoctoral applicants should indicate three most important publications to be considered for the position).
- A statement (max 1 page) explaining the applicant’s motivation to apply for the position and how their expertise would contribute to the research on mitigation of climate change,
- Names and contact details of (max 3) people providing references.
Additionally, for the position of postdoctoral researcher:
4) A summary (max. 2 pages) of the applicant’s scholarly activities including: summary of previous original research, academic networks and collaboration, disciplinary and interdisciplinary activities, success in obtaining research funding, and other relevant details.
Please submit your application through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki must submit their application via the SAP HR portal, firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 16 of May, 2021.
16.05.2021 23:59 EEST