Research Assistant, Analytical Chemistry
The Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering (SCELSE) is a unique interdisciplinary Research Centre of Excellence (RCE), funded by National Research Foundation, Ministry of Education, Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and National University of Singapore (NUS). Hosted by NTU in partnership with NUS, SCELSE is linking new insights from the life sciences with expertise from emerging technologies in engineering and natural sciences to understand, harness and control microbial biofilm communities and microbiomes.
We are seeking to appoint a motivated individual to join our team at SCELSE as a research assistant.
- Provide researchers with analytical support including sample preparation, analyses and data collection.
- Assist in general maintenance of analytical instruments, for example, preparing solutions and reagents, replacing consumables on existing equipment, implementing supply and equipment ordering procedures, setting up and maintaining equipment, and so forth.
- Develop and verify existing or new analytical methods required by researchers.
- Maintain records of research and lab operations; this includes documenting experimental research procedures and risk assessments and assisting with laboratory database management.
- Ensure laboratory safety guidelines are followed.
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry or related degree.
- Previous full-time experience working in a research laboratory.
- At least three years experience in operating gas chromatography (GC) and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) is desirable.
- Experience in development of analytical methods on GC and HPLC instruments.
- Experience in bioreactor operation (preparation of media, problem-solving, maintenance of pumps and sensors) a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience carrying out functions such as ordering, interacting with sales representatives, and interfacing with administrative staff are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Attention to detail, ability to organize time efficiently, and a desire to follow projects to completion.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Life Sciences Institute
Department: Research & Programmes
Employee Referral Eligible: No