Adjunct Assistant Professor within Web of Things
About the position
We have a vacancy for an Adjunct Assistant Professor (universitetslektor II) in Web Technology (with focus on Internet/Web of Things, Web-connected physical devices) at the Department of Design. The candidate will be part of the Web Development study program.
The position has a full-time equivalence of 20% and has a fixed term for 3 years with the possibility of employment for further periods. The position is located at the department in Gjøvik. In this position you will become a part of a unique design and web development environment and take part in creating the best digital solutions in a highly competent and interdisciplinary environment.
We are looking for a candidate with a practical hands-on expertise in Web of Things, in particular with the development of browser-based interfaces for web-connected physical devices. It will be an advantage that applicants have experience within Information Technology, Design or similar subject area.
The position reports to the Head of the department.
Duties of the positions
- Responsible for teaching and guidance in the subject Web of Things starting fall semester 2021.
- Contribute to network building
- Contribute to the department’s academic activities
Required selection criteria
The position of Adjunct Assistant Professor within Web Technology requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-6.
- Master’s degree within Information Technology, Design or similar subject area.
- Strong background in Web technologies, networking and embedded systems
- Familiarity with various front-end and back-end programming languages, as well as contemporary Web development frameworks
- Experience with the development for mobile platforms
- Good oral and written communication abilities in English
Preferred selection criteria
- Good oral and written communication abilities in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language
- Relevant basic competence for teaching and supervision at university/higher education-level, ref. Regulations.
- Experience with Cloud technologies and their role in enabling Internet of Things deployments
- Interest in the design and testing of user-friendly browser-based interfaces
- Familiarity with wireless and cellular networks
- Interest in resilient and autonomous embedded systems
- Experience from project-based learning
- Relevant experience from the industry sector
- Communication: The successful candidate will be able to relay information with clarity and ease, both orally and written, and solve any challenges that may appear using transparency and honesty
- Taking initiative: The successful candidate will seek out new opportunities at work, initiate activities and projects by working independently
- Team player: Will work excellent together with colleagues, students and external stakeholders
- Enthusiastic: Has the urge to take the extra step to include all students and maintain a good dialogue with them
- Willing to learn: Will develop excellent competence over the duration of employment and will learn from experience and feedback from others
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of Adjunct Assistant Professor (code 1009) is normally from NOK 532 000 to NOK 583 900 per year in 100% position, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation can be in English or Norwegian.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Details of the projects you have managed within the area of Web of Things
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position. You will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate level, and potentialy undertake supervision of Bachelor and Masters students. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
Your application will be considered by an committee and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and may be requred to deliver a trial lecture.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
The city of Gjøvik has a population of 30 000 and is a town known for its rich music and cultural life. The beautiful nature surrounding the city is ideal for an active outdoor life! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Study Program Leader Carlos Vicient-Monllaó, e-post email@example.com, or Deputy Head of Department Emil Bakke, 94057474, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Marion Sandnes, e-mail: email@example.com
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: 2021/16240.
Application deadline: 09.05.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Design
We are located in both Trondheim (industrial design) and Gjøvik (graphic design and web technology). Both groups have expertise in interaction design and share research interests in health and welfare technology. The design environment links many technology communities at NTNU, and nationally the Department has extensive collaboration with Norwegian industrial companies. The Department of Design is one of four departments in the Faculty of Architecture and Design
Deadline 9th May 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Scope Part time
Duration Fixed Term
Place of service Department of Design