Associate Professor in Computer Science
Associate Professor in Computer Science
School of Computing and Digital Technology
Location: City Centre Campus (Millennium Point)
Salary: £55,091 to £59,880 per annum
Closing Date: Tuesday 27 April 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, the Department of Computing and Data Science is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to high quality teaching with meaningful learning opportunities, excellence in research and impactful industrial engagement.
The Department of Computing and Data Science has an exciting opportunity for an Associate Professor to join our dynamic team. The role will suit an experienced academic looking to advance their career.
The Associate Professor in Computer Science role requires you to develop, enable and deliver research and practice informed teaching activities.
Applicants will teach across a variety of different levels, topics and areas such as;
- modelling and optimisation
- data structures and algorithms
- cloud and mobile computing
Priority will be given to candidates with these areas of expertise. Applicants are expected to have an excellent research record in one or more of these subject areas.
Membership of a professional body (such as the BCS or the IET) and professional registration (such as CITP or CEng) would be an advantage at all grades.
Depending on experience, applicants will teach across a variety of different areas, and all staff will contribute to supervising projects at Level 6 and Level 7.
The post holder will manage and expand income-generating activity in the area of Computer Science and make a significant leadership contribution to the Department of Computing and Data Science.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate highly effective teams, facilitating continuing professional development and efficiently manage staffing and fiscal resources.
- Manage a portfolio of industry-mentored projects for the student body.
- Lead in the design and development of high quality, up-to-date computing courses.
- Take a leading role in management, administration and development of the teaching and research provision within the school.
- Conduct mid- and end-of-year reviews to ensure the team’s goals are appropriately prioritised and completed.
- Lead on and orchestrate bid consortiums to secure research funding.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Hold a PhD in Computer Science
- Have a world leading research track record.
- Have an evidentiary basis for positive influence on key University performance metrics including retention, progression, achievement, employability, student satisfaction and the research and teaching excellence frameworks.
- The ability to act as a representative of your discipline for the University in a variety of contexts, internally and externally, nationally and internationally.
- Be autonomous, work flexibly and effectively use initiative to be innovative where appropriate.
- A proven record of delivering upon impactful projects.
- Strong leadership qualities and skills commensurate to a management position, evidencing ability to nurture, develop and motivate teams and individuals to inspire a highly performant environment.
- Demonstrable ability to successfully manage projects or embed new developments and initiatives into faculty agendas.
- Have Senior Fellowship status of the Higher Education Academy’s Professional Standards Framework and be ready to upgrade to Principal Fellow.
The University Core Values are Excellence, People Focused, Partnership Working and Fairness and Integrity. These values underpin our working practices and student and staff community so applicants need to demonstrate these values during the application process.
In return for your dedication and hard work, you can expect great ongoing personal and professional development plus the following main benefits;
- Generous annual leave entitlement – 40 days including bank holidays and Christmas/New Year closure
- Sickness/absence entitlement
- Teachers’ Pension scheme
- Library facilities on all campuses
- Life Assurance
- Personal Accident
- Travel card scheme
- Car parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car share scheme
- Catering facilities
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
Selection and Interview Process
To apply for this position please complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information to ensure a fair and transparent process.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted and invited to attend an interview, teaching activity and a team-based activity.
If you want to be a part of this amazing opportunity, are passionate about education and want to join our richly diverse community, please apply today as we could be part of your future.