Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £30,942 to £38,017 Pro rata per annum
Part Time (0.72 FTE) Permanent
Closing Date: Tuesday 27 April 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We are currently seeking to recruit a part time counsellor to join our supportive and friendly team core counselling team. Our team is under-represented in terms of staff from BAME backgrounds, LGBT+ identities, and with disabilities. Southampton University is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce, supporting the gender equality. We welcome applications from all sections of the community to increase diversity in our workforce.
The counselling service is one of the teams within Student Services at the University. Student Services offers a broad range of support and wellbeing opportunities to our students as well as a range of other services including an Early Years Centre providing a childcare facility for children up to the age of 5 to our 24/7, a large Careers service and Sport and Wellbeing which has some of the biggest and best leisure facilities in the area.
- You will be required to provide individual one to one confidential counselling sessions working within a short-term model, to students with psychological and emotional challenges.
- You will be proficient using IT to conduct remote online video appointments to meet the students’ needs and use data management systems to manage your caseload of students.
- Offer a flexible approach with excellent planning, communication and organisational skills and be willing to take an active role in the development of the service.
- Participate in the overseeing the volunteer scheme and provide supervision.
- Lead and facilitate specialised support group sessions for students with particular presenting student Mental Health issues.
- Bring your knowledge of best counselling practice and be capable of working in a complex and challenging environment. Applicants must have British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy Individual Counsellor Accreditation and Membership / UKCP Registration or equivalent body.
Successful candidates must have a relevant degree or be able to demonstrate an equivalent skill level and/or hold a relevant specialist qualification. An understanding of working within a Higher Education setting would be beneficial. Please apply online through www.jobs.soton.ac.uk.
To find out more about the work of Student Services please visit our website www.southampton.ac.uk/studentservices.
Please note, being able to work flexibly is a requirement of this role; you will work both virtually and in a large open plan office and you will be part of a rota that operates from 8am –8pm across weekdays.
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Charlene Tyson (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 2750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote reference 1361221EW on all correspondence.